Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i found a wood turtle tonight. Seemed to be digging a hole in a gravel trail maybe to lay eggs.... i know the species is at risk. question is this: does anyone know if there is someone i should notify so they can try to protect where i saw the turtle laying eggs.??? not a really "well traveled area" but i'm sure it sees a bit of traffic. in case i don't check this often my number is 2291514 if someone in the conservation field is interested in contacting me. i will only show someone who can show me that they are indeed in a position to help/study the species.

Steve

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts
i found a wood turtle tonight. Seemed to be digging a hole in a gravel trail maybe to lay eggs.... i know the species is at risk. question is this: does anyone know if there is someone i should notify so they can try to protect where i saw the turtle laying eggs.??? not a really "well traveled area" but i'm sure it sees a bit of traffic. in case i don't check this often my number is 2291514 if someone in the conservation field is interested in contacting me. i will only show someone who can show me that they are indeed in a position to help/study the species.

Steve
At Keji, they protect Blanding's turtle nests with screened enclosures. See:

Turtle protection

This protects the eggs and hatchlings from other critters, but poses a couple of potential problems:

1. It may attract unwanted attention from curious humans; and
  2. You have to monitor the enclosure to release the young turtles when they hatch
Good on you for pursuing this!
Paul

Reactions: pmorris
1 - 3 of 3 Posts