Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fancy having a go for some early season cod. Firstly are there any restrictions for this species, also how far out do you need to go, would it be possible to get them in a small boat less than 1km from the shore. I fished for cod in the UK and the fishing was usually better when the water was cold, is this the same here or are cod more of a summer fish here. Also what areas should I be looking at ( I'm not looking for specific places) just general areas like are they in the Bay of Fundy. I am finding it very difficult to find any info on ocean fishing, apart from Mackerel and Stripers, there are so many different fish in the sea but nobody seems to fish for them. Must be because the lake and river fishing is so good here lol.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I fancy having a go for some early season cod. Firstly are there any restrictions for this species, also how far out do you need to go, would it be possible to get them in a small boat less than 1km from the shore. I fished for cod in the UK and the fishing was usually better when the water was cold, is this the same here or are cod more of a summer fish here. Also what areas should I be looking at ( I'm not looking for specific places) just general areas like are they in the Bay of Fundy. I am finding it very difficult to find any info on ocean fishing, apart from Mackerel and Stripers, there are so many different fish in the sea but nobody seems to fish for them. Must be because the lake and river fishing is so good here lol.
Unfortunately we decimated our cod stocks years ago. There are remnant populations in a few places, but the restrictions are very tight. Check your regs because there are a few rec fisheries in the summertime.

·
Registered
158 Posts
[/quote

Unfortunately we decimated our cod stocks years ago. There are remnant populations in a few places, but the restrictions are very tight. Check your regs because there are a few rec fisheries in the summertime.
We may have had a hand in the decimation, But I'm pretty sure the foreign freezer trawlers had a bigger part in that.

I can remember as a kid catching cod, right off the wharf and decent sized fish at that. It was always best in the evenings. With a coming tide that was fully high around 9pm to 12am. We just used cut bait, mostly herring or mackerel and enough weight to put it on bottom and hold it there in current.

I also hand lined a few times for them a few times as a kid with my dad and uncle, back when hand liners were allowed to fish commercially for Cod and other ground fish. Those were enjoyable times back then.

The only time I ever fished for cod was during the summer months, and this was also like mentioned, before the collapse of the fish stock.

They are coming back slowly but nothing like they once were.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Unfortunately the season doesn't open until the end of June. This can vary but there is always a news release from DFO with the dates for the season. The news release will be in June. If your interested in putting up some big numbers of cod try a trip to the Bras d'Or once the season opens. Easliy can catch over a 100 a day, my largest so far on the lakes were 36lbs and 35lbs but the average is under 5 pounds with 10 lb'ers not uncommon.
In june one can catch them on the fly or topwater lure in a particular bay on the lakes....tons of fun.

Back in the day we would catch Cod through the ice on the Bras d'Or but it's all changed now.

·
Banned
613 Posts
The groundfish regulations are different depending on what part of the province you are in.

For Halifax Harbour and West ...no variation orders are required because the season and bag limits don't change, i.e., the season is open from February 1 to December 31 and the bag limit is 10 groundfish (in combination) and zero halibut.

For East of Halifax Harbour a Variation Order is issued each year with the season and bag limits.

Here is a copy of the text for last years Variation Order:

NOTICE

RECREATIONAL GROUNDFISH FISHING IN EASTERN NOVA SCOTIA

This Notice applies to Canadian fisheries waters east of Hartlen Point, Halifax County to Cape North, Victoria County, Nova Scotia and including the waters of the Bras d'Or Lakes

OPEN AREA

The Regional Director-General for the Maritimes Region of the Department of Fisheries and Oceans wishes to advise that Canadian fisheries waters east of Hartlen Point, Halifax County to​

Cape North, Victoria County, Nova Scotia and including the waters of the Bras d'Or Lakes, is
open to recreational fishing by angling and handline for groundfish from 0001 hrs, June 26, 2010 to 23:59hrs September 6, 2010.​

The daily quota for all groundfish (cod, haddock, pollock, flounder, etc.) except Atlantic halibut, is a maximum of five (5). The daily quota for Atlantic halibut is zero (0).​

For further information please contact the local Fishery Officer and refer to the Maritimes Region Close Time Variation Order 2010-090 and daily quota for recreational fishing for groundfish Variation Order 2010-089.​

Mike Murphy​

Acting/Regional Director-General for the​

Maritimes Region​

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hey Paul,

I'm willing to give it a shot around prospect if you want. I'd say something like early March though because the launches are all iced up here and hard to get the kayak in without a lot of trouble. We are west of hfx

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good one X.....I had forgot about the split area.
Thanks for all the info guys, so all groundfish are grouped together and if I fish say between Bridgewater and Halifax i can start fishing from February. Thats great, as soon as the snow and ice go I'll be giving it a go.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Paul
Few weeks before christmas,had a couple of sessions off rocks near Prospect.Had a brace of 5 lb+ cod and a few pollock all at distance,around 100yds.Had second rod set up close to cliff face with whole mackeral,something big took off with it and headed for the rocks.it was a typical conger bite,but as you have said earlier,what is swimming off the coast?Heading back next week,this time ready.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Paul
Few weeks before christmas,had a couple of sessions off rocks near Prospect.Had a brace of 5 lb+ cod and a few pollock all at distance,around 100yds.Had second rod set up close to cliff face with whole mackeral,something big took off with it and headed for the rocks.it was a typical conger bite,but as you have said earlier,what is swimming off the coast?Heading back next week,this time ready.

·
Registered
98 Posts
What is a conger bite?
Sorry,a conger eel is found round the UK coast,it can grow big on wrecks(100lb+)but lurks in the rocks around the bottom of cliffs.I have caught a few in N Wales including a 18 lb'er in august.The rod tip gave a few gentle taps,a few seconds of nothing,then the line sped off the reel.i tried to slow it down but what ever it was just buried itself in the rocks just below where I was fishing.The 80lb leader was parted/chewed after a few minutes of pressure.Don't know what it was because of lack of local knowledge of local fish.I'll be back!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How long have you been here Derbyram, I've been here nearly 15 months, like you say, the sea fishing here has massive potential because apart from mackerel and stripers nobody seems to fish the sea. I used to fish Chesil alot for codling, my best was around 10lb, I recon there are alot bigger cod in the waters off of NS. I had a 15lb striper last year and a couple of good skate, I'll be doing most of my fishing from a kayak this year.

·
Registered
158 Posts
You can guarantee there are bigger cod than 10lbs lol.

When I was a kid and hand lined for them we would catch lots of 10lb fish and bigger. Biggest ones I saw were pushing 30, but they do get much bigger.

My best ocean fish was a pollock. I never had a chance to weigh it or measure it, but I remember my dad and uncles saying it was well over 20lb. I remember the head coming out one side of the fish box and the tail out of the other.

·
Banned
613 Posts
the sea fishing here has massive potential because apart from mackerel and stripers nobody seems to fish the sea.
The #1 reason nobody fishes in the sea in the waters of Nova Scotia, is because we as recreational anglers are restricted by our Government to a ZERO take of all of the offshore species except for Mackerel, Stripers, and a few Bottom Fish!!

Here we are in the 21st century, and Nova Scotia and Atlantic Canada is the only place in the world where the recreational angler is denied access to offshore species of fish that swim in our waters????

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I thought that the only fish that you cannot target are Halibut and Tuna, along with certain restrictions depending on where you fish. My main targets will be cod, pollock, haddock and flounder. Derbyram, that monster take you had could have been a seal, only thing I can think it could be.

·
Banned
613 Posts
I thought that the only fish that you cannot target are Halibut and Tuna, along with certain restrictions depending on where you fish. My main targets will be cod, pollock, haddock and flounder. Derbyram, that monster take you had could have been a seal, only thing I can think it could be.
The ONLY fish you can "LEGALY" target in the ocean is mackerel, stripers, sea run trout, and Groundfish. IE: cod, haddock, pollack, and flounder!

We have a "WORLD CLASS" offshore fishery for Swordfish, Tuna, Shark, Halibut, Lobster, & Crabs, and the only access we have to these species is a token C&R fishery for sharks with a ZERO take!!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Its a real shame, I would love to have a go for Halibut and Tuna from my kayak. Does P.E.I have the same restrictions?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Its a real shame, I would love to have a go for Halibut and Tuna from my kayak. Does P.E.I have the same restrictions?
DFO has its oversight divided into regions, and PEI falls under the Gulf section along with northern NS, so pretty much the same restrictions apply. Unlike the Pacific section, where recreational anglers are given at least some voice and representation, the Maritime and Gulf sections are dominated by commercial fishery interests and recreational anglers get the short of the stick.

·
Banned
767 Posts
Hi;

I'm not saying that it was, only that it might have been a wolffish, commonly called a [sea] catfish around here. See--

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seawolf_%28fish%29

If you do land one, please, please release it! They, like every other fish in our waters, are in big, big trouble, thanks to corporate overfishing.

Forty years ago I caught 30 lb pollack just about everywhere, even in Bedford Basin. There were really big mackeral, up to 3 lbs mostly, and millions of them. I caught a cod off Fox Point wharf that weighed over 40 lbs, and mackeral out in St. Margaret's Bay that pushed 5 lbs. You caught hake whether you wanted to or not, along various flatfishes, and haddock could be taken not far out from Pt. Pleasant Park. Plus lots of other species.

Not anymore. Our marine waters are stone dead compared to what they were and should be. I kid you not. The oceans of the world now contain less than 10% of the 'food fish' they held in the 1950's, and the waters around N.S. are even worse than most. Almost the entire fishery here is shellfish. They pretend to sell N.S. haddock by putting, "product of Lunenber, N.S." on the box, but the fish were actually caught in Russia and trans-shipped here for packaging's sake.

Today you will only catch small mackeral, cod, and pollack unless you are very lucky.

So please, if you get a big spawner of any species, letumgo.

cheers,

chuck

1 - 20 of 33 Posts