Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,
This may or may not be a dumb question. Why are there only small bass in Rocky lake? I ahve never caught a large bass there in my life. Surely there must be some big guys in there. Same as Powder Mill Lake.
Thanks.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I fished rocky one day during the spawn and although i didnt manage to hook any I did some fish which looked to be between 14-17" and chunky, but I dont think there is to much forage in the lake and alot of ppl do say that there is just small ones there.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I was fishing out there today caught a couple 9-10 inchers and I know this is gonna sound like a typical fishing story BUT..... I had a pretty big one on the hook for a few seconds it was a ways out - he jumped like a foot out of the water and got off - must fot have had him hooked good... If i had to guess id say he would be maybe about 14" - well looked like it to me... in anycase another big one that got away lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
Same goes for me. I've fished both sides of Rocky, as well as Powder Mill, and have gotten lots of fish....but mostly super small guys. I was hooking more perch than bass in Rocky.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Rocky used to be the lake for Four pound bass. But they ate them selfs outta house and home and now there are nothing but small ones. Don't worry some big pickerel have made their home there and its only a matter of time before the big boys return. I wonder what effect the cement plant at the back end has on the bass populations?. I remember back around 2002 my friend and I caught a 21 inch fish which was pushing 5 lbs and a 22.5 inch that was pushing 4.5 lbs. So I know there are some big fish in the lake.

Colin

·
Registered
65 Posts
I fished Rocky Lake in the 70 s, 80s and 90s and there was a lot of bass in 8 to 10 inch
range but you only got a big one about every third trip. Probably has not changed that much.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Hey there,

I fished it 2 weeks ago and I went in on the road that is by the walmart. There are some industrial buildings there and if you go to the end you can get a canoe in or fish from shore. We fished in a canoe and caught a few nice sized fish but it got windy and we went to shore. The nice sized fish for that lake were about 14-15 inches. I put on my snorkel gear and did some diving and saw a huge school of gaspereau as well as 4 really nice sized bass. I also pulled out a lamp, a bike and a weed eater from the lake. Some people are slobs.

There are a few nice fish though if you get lucky.

Cheers,

James

·
Registered
210 Posts
I haven't wet a line in Rocky Lake in many many years. One of the last times there I caught the biggest smallie I've ever hooked. The fish was a 6 1/2 pounder with a deep belly like you see on pics of largies out of the deep south. But even back then, 10-12 inches was typical.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I haven't wet a line in Rocky Lake in many many years. One of the last times there I caught the biggest smallie I've ever hooked. The fish was a 6 1/2 pounder with a deep belly like you see on pics of largies out of the deep south. But even back then, 10-12 inches was typical.
...Hello...my father grew up on Rocky Lake (Lakeview Rd)...Search and Rescue was his "school house". He would always tell me the first one to the culvert where the front and back lake is divided.....would get the "big land-locked salmon. I have pictures of him actually holding many salmon from the lake! Also growing up him and his buddies would catch many white perch....especially behind the small island in the front lake....thats where all the minnows would be....not many now!!!

Thats where i learned to fish...also where a learned bass have spines on their backs....the lip is much more friendly! I have been fishing there for over 20 years, heavy...to date...this spring i caught a 17 incher...in the past 3 16 inchers and 1 18 incher in the back lake......like everyone elso lots of small ones......but 40 fish a trip is not uncommon. Also one time was reeling in a bass....on a small crank bait.....then another one hit...reeled to bass in at once...i'll always remeber it!!!

Was out in Powder mill yesturday, with the grand son....he is 4! he caught 6, i got 21...he caught all his by himself...with his spiderman fishing rod, he got the biggest at 12 inches....our new 12 foot jon, with carpet bench and padded seats worked fine...check out tinboats.net...modifications...sweet rigs!

Jamie

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yea that lake must be loiaded with bass. I was out there about 2 weeks ago on a calm sunny morning and the water was like glass. I was standing on a rock looking in and could see 4-5 bass just milling around at any given time. They werent very hungry that mroning but they were everywhere on the lake and loads of them - and that is just what i could see with my eyes - im sure plenty more i couldnt see.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts