Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sunday afternoon my wife and I went for a drive.

We were in the parking lot of what used to be the Gold Coast Restaurant (now a seafood shipper), looking out over Jeddore Harbour towards Hartlin Settlement - and saw "action".

About 2/3 to 3/4 of the way across there was splashing and spray and foam flying up a good 3 feet, as if driven explosively from below. It was not symmetrical at all, and lasted about 3~5 seconds. It's hard to say.

Then it ended, there was a sort of swirl, and all was quiet. We watched for a while longer, then left.

Does anyone have a guess as to what we may have seen? It looked like a classic "I'm hungry and want to eat." vs. "Sorry, old chap, but I do not want to be your dinner." style of encounter, but I don't really know.

What's lurking in Jeddore Harbour these days?

Cheers - Miles

Google maps: http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&q=Jeddore,+NS&sll=44.775377,-63.021998&sspn=0.020198,0.034461&ie=UTF8&t=h&split=1&rq=1&ev=p&radius=1.01&hq=Jeddore,+NS&hnear=&ll=44.771447,-63.016591&spn=0.020199,0.034461&z=15

·
Banned
613 Posts
Sunday afternoon my wife and I went for a drive.

We were in the parking lot of what used to be the Gold Coast Restaurant (now a seafood shipper), looking out over Jeddore Harbour towards Hartlin Settlement - and saw "action".

About 2/3 to 3/4 of the way across there was splashing and spray and foam flying up a good 3 feet, as if driven explosively from below. It was not symmetrical at all, and lasted about 3~5 seconds. It's hard to say.

Then it ended, there was a sort of swirl, and all was quiet. We watched for a while longer, then left.

Does anyone have a guess as to what we may have seen? It looked like a classic "I'm hungry and want to eat." vs. "Sorry, old chap, but I do not want to be your dinner." style of encounter, but I don't really know.

What's lurking in Jeddore Harbour these days?

Cheers - Miles
Hey Miles,
it could have been a few things, but IMO, it was most likely a Bluefin Tuna feeding on the mackerel in the harbour. I saw a bunch of them when I was out shark fishing the other day.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ive seen the same action in ingram port couple years ago. did not know what was going on. Luckly it came within casting distance and we hooked 2 bluefish. The comotion on the surface was not like anything ive ever seen before, and the fight was amazing very powerful fish, many leaps and long runs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Xlobsterman, and everyone else who commented - thanks.

When I think of tuna, it's always "deep and fast", not breaching the surface. Super pix, super video.

Cheers - Miles

1 - 9 of 9 Posts