Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I was wondering if someone could shed some light on these white, cauliflower like lumps/bumps/clumps on the gills of brook trout in my Uncles fish pond.

The pond is about 50 feet long, 25 feet wide, and 9 feet deep at the deepest. There always is a flow of fresh incoming water so oxygen levels shouldn't be a problem.

Starting in the fall of last year the trout have became increasingly lazy, not jumping for flies, and have lost most of there appetite for the fish food my Uncle throws out to them. This year, a couple trout have died, and when he investigated the dead trout, there gills have been overwhelmed with white lumps. We speculate that the trout have died from suffocation which would account for their low energy levels.

When I was there this weekend I managed to hook on to a couple with a hook and worm (rare occurrence) and both had large amounts of white lumps on their gills but not near as much as the trout that turned up dead. So I was hopeing someone could give me info on what this is exactly? A disease, or a parasite maybe, possibly bird transmitted? This may be a long shot, but is it treatable?

Thanks in advance,

Jmac

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hey, I was wondering if someone could shed some light on these white, cauliflower like lumps/bumps/clumps on the gills of brook trout in my Uncles fish pond.

The pond is about 50 feet long, 25 feet wide, and 9 feet deep at the deepest. There always is a flow of fresh incoming water so oxygen levels shouldn't be a problem.

Starting in the fall of last year the trout have became increasingly lazy, not jumping for flies, and have lost most of there appetite for the fish food my Uncle throws out to them. This year, a couple trout have died, and when he investigated the dead trout, there gills have been overwhelmed with white lumps. We speculate that the trout have died from suffocation which would account for their low energy levels.

Hi Jmac
That is a sign of ageing and stress due to low oxygen supply. I've seen it on occasion in Pestowesk Lake as well as other acid lakes. Usually on fish 30 cms or better. I'm sure fish biologists could give you a more detailed description.
Have a good day
Paul

When I was there this weekend I managed to hook on to a couple with a hook and worm (rare occurrence) and both had large amounts of white lumps on their gills but not near as much as the trout that turned up dead. So I was hopeing someone could give me info on what this is exactly? A disease, or a parasite maybe, possibly bird transmitted? This may be a long shot, but is it treatable?

Thanks in advance,

Jmac

·
Registered
423 Posts
I would try calling the McGowen Lake fish hatchery in Caledonia. The Managers name is Mike and I am positive he can answer your questions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts