Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I've fished several lakes and all I seem to be getting is small bass. Like 6-8 inches. Does anyone else find there is mostly small bass this year or is it just me? If you are getting bigger bass, are they deep or shallow? What are you using for lures? Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am getting lots of large bass around the Dartmouth area. Top water lures, shallow, around wed beds. Sometimes just letting it sit in one place for up to a minute after casting. Very slow retrives.
Take care and a tight line.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey. That's pretty much how I've been fishing, usually a popper close to shore and around the lillies and weeds. Maybe it's just the lakes I've been fishing. Trying a new spot tomorrow. We'll see how that turns out. Thanks!

·
Registered
666 Posts
So far this year I've scored x2 2lbs, x1 2.5lbs and x1 3lbs bass and that's mostly in the HRM area ... but I agree other than those fellas it's all been little ones and rather slow too.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Its not just you... I havent caught a 'large' bass all year. Was out yesterday caught 6 bass ranged anywhere from like 6" and the biggest was about 11". Like you said though most were in the 6,7,8" range. Was usuing a floating Rapala F5 - tonn of fish going for it - just doesnt seem like any of the 'BIG' ones.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hi Goodwrench
I was out this afternoon on the South Shore and got 3 on plastic of a drop off in about 10 - 12 feet of water. They were 12 - 18 inches. I'm not too good with plastic but got a lot of touches.
So you might consider a drop off fairly soon. There were lots of small ones jumping in the lily pads but I let them jump!
Good fishing
Paul

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have found in the last week that a tube with a 1/4 ounce jighead fished vertically in 25 feet of water to be fantastic.

Cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had about the same luck until last week when I pulled a 22" smallie, not sure of the weight, but it was prolly the largest bass I've caught this year and was quite the fight even on my 6'6" medium. Caught at dusk on a Rapala Skitter Pop, frog pattern. Caught it the same spot I pulled a 17" earlier in the summer, in about 4 or 5 feet of water.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey guys. Well, I finally found a spot where I have been catching some nice smallies! Caught them on a F5 floating rapala. Around 2 pounds I'd say. I guess you just have to keep trying spots until you find the bigger ones. I'm wondering how the fishing will be now that Earl blew through and things have cooled down? I'm heading out tomorrow to the same spot...let's see if the big ones are still there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts