Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening everyone, I am looking for a little help this winter.

I moved to the Lower Sackville area from Ontario last winter but didn't have a chance to get out then, so I am now looking to get back into ice fishing again but not sure where to go. Fished mainly for Lake Trout, Whitefish, Speckle Trout and Pickeral through the ice.

Was hoping someone could point me in the right direction for some bows or pickeral.

Any help is apprecaited.

Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Penhorn, Oathill, Maynard and Albro have Bows in them and Morris, Russell and Fish Lake have Chain Pickerel..There is some to start with!! Lots of Perch in most of them also.. Hope this Helps !!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Kinsac Lake is closer by as well for Pickeral..not sure on the local ice thickness yet though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Meadow Pond has excelent rainbow trout fishing. Located on the highway headin into windsor. I hear Grand lake has lots of good fishing too, such has Pickerl and Stergeon.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the same problem with Kinsac in the winter. I either cannot find the fish or they aren't biting.

Fish Lake, on the other hand, rarely disappoints.

I've never heard of Sturgeon in Grand Lake. It's possible it's true, but if you catch a sturgeon or a brook trout in that lake, go buy a lottery ticket! It's also not a lake easily accessed for ice fishing unless you know a property owner.

In case it escaped notice in DannyBoy's post, the pickerel here are Chain Pickerel, and not Walleye. I grew up calling walleye pickerel myself, and figured it was worth mention. Chain Pickerel are a smaller cousin of the Northern Pike.

I enjoy the winter fishery around Halifax, but, coming from Ontario myself and having fished on Vancouver Island, I know I have a very different definition of "excellent rainbow trout fishing" than Meadow Pond. I'm not looking to bash Meadow, it is fun for what it is: a tiny pond with stunted stocked trout. Just thought I'd set your expectations properly; big trout are few and far between around the city. If you go out for bows, you are likely going to catch fish in the 8-12 inch range.

Good luck, maybe I'll see you around.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for listing off local lakes to fish on. I have found out more about the local ice fishing scene now then I have over the last 12 months.

Is live bait used here or is it jigging with spoons and artificials the norm? See you all on the ponds very shortly.

thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts