Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We visited NS last summer and plan to come again in August of 2011. This trip will be to fish saltwater and look for a permanent residence. We want to fish the ocean from bottom fish to shark in a 22 foot boat. If you were retired and a recreational fishing nut where would you prefer to live in Nova Scotia? We need someplace near the ocean where we can launch our boat nearby. A view of the ocean would be nice but we don't have to live on the water's edge. (someplace safe from hurricanes etc.) We would like to be close to a decent hospital and within less than an hour of city conveniences but close to good fishing. Where would you choose to live in NS if you didn't have to drive to work?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Well I am a bit bias but somewhere in Lunenburg County would be a good start if your looking. The ocean is never far and the county has numerous lakes with a good cross section of species available. If you like to fish Smallmouth this is the place for you. We also have decent Brook trout fishing. Salmon are in danger here but the county has several rivers if they ever come back. I am not a salt water expert but the fishing industry practically built this county. You are about an hour from Halifax and the Annapolis Valley. Practically anything you would need is readily available and Bridgewater has the largest hospital on the South Shore. The LaHave river in Bridgewater is popular for boating and the estuary is about ten miles to the open ocean. If you hunt we boast the highest population of deer in the province, good populations of Grouse, Bear, Rabbits, and waterfowl. I am sure you will have many more opinions from the site members but I thought I would pitch my home county. The county is a very popular retirement destination for people from all over the world.

Good Luck in your search.

·
457 Posts
if i could buy a house i would look in the st margarets bay area
good fishing close to the city nice beachs

but if i was just looking based on fishing
i would probably find a place in sambro
they have a nice little marina and boat launch at the public wharf
nice quiet comunity packed full of saltwater fishing knowlage
there are some great shoals and reefs close in around there that produce nice
ground fish
and shark can be caught out around there as well

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if i could buy a house i would look in the st margarets bay area
good fishing close to the city nice beachs

but if i was just looking based on fishing
i would probably find a place in sambro
they have a nice little marina and boat launch at the public wharf
nice quiet comunity packed full of saltwater fishing knowlage
there are some great shoals and reefs close in around there that produce nice
ground fish
and shark can be caught out around there as well

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We spent several days at Indian Cove last July and the St. Margarets area did look ideal for a place to live and fish. Sombra as you recommend looks very interesting. We will definately visit there when we return. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We caught mackerel at the Englishtown wharf and spent some time in the Baddeck area which looked like an ideal place to live. I am not sure about hospitals there but that "inland sea" got my attention for sure. We didn't get to Sydney though which is the nearest city for convenience. So I would assume we should be looking somewhere closer to Sydney to live to be based on Cape Breton. Am I right? Retirees need to be close to hospitals etc.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I am a bit bias but somewhere in Lunenburg County would be a good start if your looking. The ocean is never far and the county has numerous lakes with a good cross section of species available. If you like to fish Smallmouth this is the place for you. We also have decent Brook trout fishing. Salmon are in danger here but the county has several rivers if they ever come back. I am not a salt water expert but the fishing industry practically built this county. You are about an hour from Halifax and the Annapolis Valley. Practically anything you would need is readily available and Bridgewater has the largest hospital on the South Shore. The LaHave river in Bridgewater is popular for boating and the estuary is about ten miles to the open ocean. If you hunt we boast the highest population of deer in the province, good populations of Grouse, Bear, Rabbits, and waterfowl. I am sure you will have many more opinions from the site members but I thought I would pitch my home county. The county is a very popular retirement destination for people from all over the world.

Good Luck in your search.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for your excellent information. The LeHave sounds ideal with Bridgewater's conveniences nearby, access to the ocean and I would assume brackish and freshwater fishing upstream. I would imagine property is not cheap there but I will surely take your advice and visit there next summer. Thanks again.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hospitals in Sydney, Baddeck, Neils Harbour and Inverness. The Bras dor Lakes is where you want to be for endless fishing. Brown trout, Rainbow Trout, Brook Trout, Striped Bass, Mackerel, Flounder, Cod, Shad, white perch, Sculpin. you name it. Plus the scenery !!!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well if you like the Sydney area and you like the Bras D'or Lakes - I would suggest the small town of Boisdale, NS !!!

Only 25 km's from North Sydney, 20 km from the golf course (Seaview Golf & Country Club), you would be able to live close or even on the water, have an excellent view of the water, quiet, tranquill, good road to the city !!!

Need I say more !!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well if you like the Sydney area and you like the Bras D'or Lakes - I would suggest the small town of Boisdale, NS !!!

Only 25 km's from North Sydney, 20 km from the golf course (Seaview Golf & Country Club), you would be able to live close or even on the water, have an excellent view of the water, quiet, tranquill, good road to the city !!!

Need I say more !!!
CB would be my vote. There are several hospitals in different parts all over the island. Land is still relatively cheap. It wouldn't be difficult to find a reasonably priced house close to the water. The south shore is nice to look at, but there seems to be more bitter people down there than in other parts of the province.

The only drawback of CB is that if you prefer an "urban" lifestyle with public transpo etc., then it is lacking in that regard.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Need I say more !!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Boisdale looks very interesting. One question though, my map isn't clear, can you access the ocean by boat from the St.Andrews Channel to the north?

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We were looking at a house in the MLS listings in that area and that price. If it is yours and it is still available we will be looking at it when we get there next summer. It's just what we are looking for.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
CB would be my vote. There are several hospitals in different parts all over the island. Land is still relatively cheap. It wouldn't be difficult to find a reasonably priced house close to the water. The south shore is nice to look at, but there seems to be more bitter people down there than in other parts of the province.

The only drawback of CB is that if you prefer an "urban" lifestyle with public transpo etc., then it is lacking in that regard.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts