Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am just looking for some general info on where to catch some decent numbers of white perch. Not looking for anybodys honey hole, just the name of a decent lake for them.

Thanks for any assistance,

Chris

· Registered
580 Posts
Hi Chris
There are not many lakes in Nova Scotia without good populations of White Perch. Catching them may be another matter! As they are not heavily fished and are mostly a bycatch and released at any rate the population many be a bit stunted but I find lakes where there are Bass, Pickerel or large Trout you will often catch big ones.
Good fishing
Paul

· Registered
42 Posts
They offer great sport on ultra-light, micro-light, and fly gear. If you have a boat you can look for schools in the evening. They often come to the surface to feed towards evening, so you can find them on calm summers evenings by looking for fish feeding at the surface.

· Registered
580 Posts
i to would like to catch some big white perch.. hooked my first one last year on sucker on the fly rod an it was a blast but only about 8 inches long..
Hi Prosser
Lilydale Lake just out of Lunenburg has some really nice white perch. We used to fish for them just before dark. You need a warm evening because its near the ocean and sometimes a sea breeze will keep things cool enough there will be no hatches on but hit it right and you'll get some good ones.
July and August are best.
Good fishing
Paul

· Streamside ProStaff
541 Posts
There are so many lakes all around the Province. Depending on where you live you could hit the Annapolis Valley... Little River Lake, Dean Chapter etc... all have solid populations of white perch.. There are many down Yarmouth way sorry I can't recall the names but I am sure there are others on here who have them available. In the Weymouth area many lakes off of the 340 have good White perch as well.. Partridge Island, Porcupine etc... pretty sure the OPP lakes also have white perch populations worth going after. Good luck with it and let us know where ya go and how you make out.

· Registered
17 Posts
If you are in and around HRM most lakes carry good populations of whites. My favorite lake by far for good size is big indian lake off the 103, mersey road. Little Indain Lake is off the same road and is good fishing as well. Let us know how you make out.

· Registered
118 Posts
Tony, my experience with these great fish has mostly been in the last couple of hours of daylight...We find schools of them surface feeding and have had good success chucking small grubs on light jigheads at them...Have managed to find some decent smallies bringing up the rear behind schools of whites...Hope to hook into a lot more whites this year...Awesome on the ultralight!!!...

· Registered
22 Posts
Do u guys troll for white perch?..or mostly castin n lettin it go to bottom??..wuts preferred bait n can u get em on the fly?
I have caught them trolling #0 and #1 Mepps inline spinners (Silver Aglia), so they can be definitely be enticed that way. Trolling can be an effective way to find the schools in the absence of other signs.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.