Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can I get a rod holder for fishing beaches. Back in the UK I had a tripod but cannot seem to find one here. I need something that is easily movable and will hold 2 long (13ft) beach rods.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The Cabelas USA site have some quad style rests same sort of thing just one extra leg

·
Registered
30 Posts
Where can I get a rod holder for fishing beaches. Back in the UK I had a tripod but cannot seem to find one here. I need something that is easily movable and will hold 2 long (13ft) beach rods.
Hey ppaauull0 I will be up your way this year. Already getting Stripers in the Basin. Any how. The rod rest you saw me with last year was part UK and part Home Depot. I got a top bracket that holds two rods and the Top 3 way bracket that the legs go into from Veals for about $15. I then went to Home Depot and bought 2 x 8ft round aluminum legs and a 90 degree angled leg which with monor adjustments fitted well. I made the bottom holder from a clamp and drain pipe. I would say that with 3 of the 8rt round legs jined in a tripod with something to rest the rods on at the top you may have something. Even if you rest the butts on the floor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey ppaauull0 I will be up your way this year. Already getting Stripers in the Basin. Any how. The rod rest you saw me with last year was part UK and part Home Depot. I got a top bracket that holds two rods and the Top 3 way bracket that the legs go into from Veals for about $15. I then went to Home Depot and bought 2 x 8ft round aluminum legs and a 90 degree angled leg which with monor adjustments fitted well. I made the bottom holder from a clamp and drain pipe. I would say that with 3 of the 8rt round legs jined in a tripod with something to rest the rods on at the top you may have something. Even if you rest the butts on the floor.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I fish the bay of fundy where most areas are muddy and if you are fishing the tides the rod(s) need to be moved often. I have used pvc with a tapered wooden stake but this proved to be cumbersome and difficult in some settings. Recently I was browsing kijiji and found someone selling 20 old golf clubs for $25. I thought I would give it a try. After cutting off the clubheads I clamped 2" pvc to the handles. This week I have used the new holders on two occasions, easy to push into the mud and not danger of breaking and lots of action, success. Now I am thinking of the club heads as sinkers....hmmmm! probably not!

·
Registered
269 Posts
If you are looking for clamps, Lee Valley sells rolls of stainless steel clamp band and heads for a reasonable price 13 feet for 7.95 plus 8 heads, you cut to the length you need

·
Registered
315 Posts
Go to Hi-Liner fishing gear and tackle in bayer's lake halifax nova scotia, they have all kinds of holders for all rod types, from shark to tuna to stripped bass rods

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just make my own using black ABS or PVC piping that you can obtain at any decent hardware store. Cut one end of the pipe at an angle sharp enough to drive into the sand/mud. Fishing Rod fits into the other end. You can vary the length of the holder depending on the type of surface you are using it in.

Works for me and is quite inexpensive to make.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Here's the ones I make. Ideal for any beach type (mud, rock, shale, etc.), and you can hang all your gear on them for ease of relocation (really handy when you are shore fishing on the Bay of Fundy) and added stability. In addition, while the rod will not come out if a fish grabs the line, it releases instantly when you grab it yourself - no fiddling around when you have a bite - just grab and yank! In the picture I have rocks hanging from them - this is an alternative to hanging your bag or bucket.

·
Registered
288 Posts
2 foot piece of plastic PVC or ABS

2 foot piece of rebar.

2 "O" clamps

duct tape

clamp rebar to plastic tubing with clamps offset by about a foot and tighten clamps. tape over clamps to protect your hand when moving and voila.

I even found the rebar and pipe at a construction site that was garbage, but I'm cheap like that.

·
Registered
315 Posts
2 foot piece of plastic PVC or ABS

2 foot piece of rebar.

2 "O" clamps

duct tape

clamp rebar to plastic tubing with clamps offset by about a foot and tighten clamps. tape over clamps to protect your hand when moving and voila.

I even found the rebar and pipe at a construction site that was garbage, but I'm cheap like that.
i would use electrical tape over duck tape cause duck tape is not good at all around water, put it on as a quick fix for a bouy, and 5 days later it was worn off, put electrical tape it lasted that trip and still on their solid, that was over a year ago....

duck tape is very porus where electrical tape is not, while being porus, lets all the water in, electrical tape got a solid backing, that doesnt let water into the glue, hence making it last longer

·
Registered
4 Posts
i know where you can get them along with good tackle... i got my tripod from him, good solid aluminium tripod one piece. He does have telescopic ones too. he also sells beach casters rods, rigs, leads, reels like back home.

really good stuff... if your still after them let me know and i will pass on his details.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts