Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
News from the Atlantic Salmon Federation (ASF)

Fifty organizations from the United States and Canada are calling upon the International Joint Commission (IJC) to require that the St. Croix River, which forms the border between New Brunswick and Maine, be opened for passage of alewives (river herring). ASF, Maine Rivers, and the Natural Resources Council of Maine are leading the campaign. This action was taken because Maine state law since 1995 has blocked upstream passage past the Grand Falls dam because a group of inland fishing guides mistakenly believes that alewives pose a threat to smallmouth bass, a non-native fish. All efforts to amend the prohibition have been blocked by Maine lawmakers despite the fact that scientific studies show that alewives and smallmouth bass co-exist in bodies of water from Canada to North Carolina.

The CBC Television program, "Land and Sea", covered this significant issue on Sunday, February 20. To view this program entitled "Alewives: a Border Dispute", click here:
http://www.asf.ca/news.php?id=644

WATCH THE VIDEO from "Land and Sea".

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

Fifty organizations from the United States and Canada are calling upon the International Joint Commission (IJC) to require that the St. Croix River, which forms the border between New Brunswick and Maine, be opened for passage of alewives (river herring). ASF, Maine Rivers, and the Natural Resources Council of Maine are leading the campaign. This action was taken because Maine state law since 1995 has blocked upstream passage past the Grand Falls dam because a group of inland fishing guides mistakenly believes that alewives pose a threat to smallmouth bass, a non-native fish. All efforts to amend the prohibition have been blocked by Maine lawmakers despite the fact that scientific studies show that alewives and smallmouth bass co-exist in bodies of water from Canada to North Carolina.

The CBC Television program, "Land and Sea", covered this significant issue on Sunday, February 20. To view this program entitled "Alewives: a Border Dispute", click here:

sad once again fear of loss of human financial gain trumps mother nature's natural balance. And we wonder why we have probs

·
Banned
767 Posts

Oh, man, this is so infuriating!!! I should keep my mouth shut, but I never can.

Why is it that all over the world , in their opinion, Yanks have a god-given right to trample the rights of others in order to enrich themselves? And why do smaller, weaker countries let them get away with it?

If nobody else has the military might necessary to defend themselves against the Yankee Rogue State [and nobody does--except Israel, and Israel is just the other side of the Yankee coin], then why are they never taken to international court and sued or prosecuted? Is it because the Yanks, being Yanks, will simply ignore international law and international courts, whenever it applies to themselves? [hint-they already do!
].

They're our 'best friends' as long as we do what they tell us to do. But when they want The North-West Passage, they'll take it, and when they want our fresh water, they'll take that ,too. Blocking the St.Croix is nothing compared to what they've done to our sovereignty before, and what they are going to do to us in the future. With "friends" like that, who needs enemies?!?

With cowardly governments like ours, who's got sovereignty, who's got a country, who's got democracy?

chuck

·
Registered
36 Posts
Oh, man, this is so infuriating!!! I should keep my mouth shut, but I never can.

Why is it that all over the world , in their opinion, Yanks have a god-given right to trample the rights of others in order to enrich themselves? And why do smaller, weaker countries let them get away with it?

If nobody else has the military might necessary to defend themselves against the Yankee Rogue State [and nobody does--except Israel, and Israel is just the other side of the Yankee coin], then why are they never taken to international court and sued or prosecuted? Is it because the Yanks, being Yanks, will simply ignore international law and international courts, whenever it applies to themselves? [hint-they already do!
].

They're our 'best friends' as long as we do what they tell us to do. But when they want The North-West Passage, they'll take it, and when they want our fresh water, they'll take that ,too. Blocking the St.Croix is nothing compared to what they've done to our sovereignty before, and what they are going to do to us in the future. With "friends" like that, who needs enemies?!?

With cowardly governments like ours, who's got sovereignty, who's got a country, who's got democracy?

chuck
Chuck

Sorry to say but a very weak post on your part. Remember this is a fishing site not a political one. I personally find your comments here offensive. Not up to your usual standards.

Charles

·
Registered
587 Posts
LOL Chuck
At your best today!
Perhaps you were a great hockey player - should have been anyway!
Start a fight before the game started you could.
As Punch told Forbie once "Start a fight - not a war!"
Keep taking those vitamins so you can amuse the rest of us.
Sometimes we get to serious.
Paul

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I am flummoxed that the Maine Commercial fishermen (who rely on the Gaspareaux for bait) did not rise up "en masse", head inland, and beat the misinformed smallmouth guides into submission by sheer weight of numbers. That's the way it is supposed to work in a democracy, isn't it??? I don't know why they(the guides) have so much clout with the legislature so as to have an act passed at the state level banning the passage of an anadramous fish to its historic spawning areas of the upper St Croix river which forms the actual line of the border between our two nations. We, here have the gaspareau which run up the Shubie,the Stewiacke,LaHave,the Gaspareau etc., all waters which lead to waters where Smallmouth live with seemingly no deleterious effect on the Smallmouth or other species. Some would argue that the young gaspareau, actually form part of the forage base for SMB as well as other species. Whatever the truth of the matter, I believe that the historic specie,(alewife) ought to take precedence over the introduced specie (SMB)or at the very least ,share equal billing with neither fish being granted any special favours. Therefore the blocking of the run to cease. Regards....

·
Registered
523 Posts
Hi all,
From personal experience down here in SW NS, I can tell you the bass and the alewives (Gaspereuax, Kiacks, whatever you wish to call them) get along just great! There is no "arguing" I have seen with my own eyes bass so full of kiack minnows they were spitting them out when brought to hand.
As a dual citizen, I follow issues like this closely, and can say unreservedly I side with the ASF and others who want the river open. The native species should have priority in a river-shed that can sustain such populations.
Bill

·
Registered
55 Posts
To get back to Chuck and others there is a Joint Commission that is looking into this now, and the commercial fisheries (Maine) are not in favour of the blockage.However it seems that this group of maine Guides have some big time friends in the Maine Government. So what we have is a stalemate Since the blockage is on the American side it is not even a case where the Canadian side could open up.The Commission is allowing a limited amount of return but this whole thing is more than likely going to go to court at some point.What this really comes down to is how our rivers have been altered to the detriment of all aquatic species.Before we condemn the States lets look at our rivers here in NS.The Annapolis,Gasperaux,Cornwallis,Avon (a joke), St.Croix (a bigger joke).Every one of the major river systems has been dyked ,damned, altered in one way or the other we even have lakes that 100 years or less didn't exist.No wonder there is a an Atlantic Salmon crisis, Stripped Bass may yet get banned,we are in essence as a species the worst thing that ever happened to a watershed. Fielddog

·
Registered
158 Posts
That's quite sad really. Not to mention the juvenile alewives are a big part of the forage base for the smallies in the summer. In the rivers around here anyways. The alewives are the main reason I think the river smallies reach such large sizes.

Also seeing as how the kiacks are native fish and the smallies are not like others have said, I don't quite understand this one fully.

It all comes down to money and greed and fear of losing some green, just like everything else

·
Registered
195 Posts
Killing off a native species to keep an invasive alive is just wrong. The canadian government needs to build fish ladders across from the american ones, that will fix the problem, Lol.

Chuck, you missed one, freedom of speach is on it's way out the door as well.

·
Banned
767 Posts
Killing off a native species to keep an invasive alive is just wrong. The canadian government needs to build fish ladders across from the american ones, that will fix the problem, Lol.

Chuck, you missed one, freedom of speach is on it's way out the door as well.
Hi WB;

Freedom of speech in Canada went out the window the day the government enacted its "hate speech" laws.

As you and Shienar suggest, we could just build fishways on our side of the river, unilaterally, but a/that would contravene boundary water agreements, and b/, worse, it would annoy the yanks--something we must never, never, ever do, or they'll spank us.

cheers,

chuck

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Every one of the major river systems has been dyked ,damned, altered in one way or the other we even have lakes that 100 years or less didn't exist.No wonder there is a an Atlantic Salmon crisis, Stripped Bass may yet get banned,we are in essence as a species the worst thing that ever happened to a watershed. Fielddog
couldn't have said it better

1 - 16 of 16 Posts