Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hey guys,

Last year was my first year for "serious" fly fishing, i fished 3-4 times a week using my 9 foot browning(vintage) 2 peice 7wt rod.

It's super light, and pretty stiff but i found it difficult to really get a great distance cast with it.

I'm looking to get a new rod this year, but im not sure what to get . My target species is trout, and i usually don't throw anything bigger than a number 10 muddler. I would like to fish the shad this year though on the fly . so something half versitile too. I'm not sure on what length of a rod i might want or whats best for me .i've down a little bit of research and i think a 5-6 weight rod but what length ? Whats the difference between a 2 peice and a four peice ?

I'm always in my boat on a lake, so i dont need a short rod for brooks and creeks ...

Any help appreciated .

- Sick of fishing with worms. Mike

·
Registered
195 Posts
A 5wt would be a good choice for trout. I never fished shad, so I can't really help ya there. A 9' will be good, I'd go with a 4pc, I started using them a few years ago and doubt I'll buy another 2pc, they're a lot more compact for packing and travelling with and I don't find the 4pc affects the performance of the rod. For fishing in a boat, I wouldn't go shorter than a 9', I prefer a 10' for the boat and deep wading, but you may want to start out with a 9 or 9 1/2. I use to own a browning at one time, I believe it was a gold medallion, but not completely sure. It use to cast a fairly long line. If your going to be fishing in a boat your going to have some wind, so I'd go with a fast action rod.

·
Registered
523 Posts
WoollyB is right on - a 5 or 6 weight will work for you well, especially the 5 if you really don't throw bigger flies - and because it's lighter, it will be more fun.
2 and 4 piece won't matter, that will just be preference. There is no big difference in casting them.
I would not go below 9 feet - believe it or not, a shorter rod is actually harder to learn to cast. A nice 9 footer or maybe 9 and a half will help you learn to cast and control line.
Hope that helps,
Bill

·
Registered
10 Posts
Before you do anything in terms of getting a new rod, take a lesson. I assure you that your distance wo's are not rod related. You may need a new line but couple that with a lesson or two and you will save money and may find that you like that old Browning. My dad has an old Silaflex from about 1980 that I still covet and would love to own and fish with.
RH

PS. Your 7wt is fine for shad so maybe think 4wt for trout. That will give you a two rod arsenal and open up your options.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Before you do anything in terms of getting a new rod, take a lesson. I assure you that your distance wo's are not rod related. You may need a new line but couple that with a lesson or two and you will save money and may find that you like that old Browning. My dad has an old Silaflex from about 1980 that I still covet and would love to own and fish with.
RH

PS. Your 7wt is fine for shad so maybe think 4wt for trout. That will give you a two rod arsenal and open up your options.
Thanks , i double posted and replied to all responses in the first post

Cheers and thanks for the advice

·
1,353 Posts
Robbie H post is a great one. Distance is overrated. A good clean cast with good line control is far ahead of the distance factor.
The rivers haven't changes that much. It is the same rock in the middle of the pool I cast to now with a super fast, high modulas, graphite rod that I used to cast with a two piece Fenwick fiberglass rod. In fact I am considering a fiberglass rod for trout.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts