Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Last year was my first year for "serious" fly fishing, i fished 3-4 times a week using my 9 foot browning(vintage) 2 peice 7wt rod.

It's super light, and pretty stiff but i found it difficult to really get a great distance cast with it.

I'm looking to get a new rod this year, but im not sure what to get . My target species is trout, and i usually don't throw anything bigger than a number 10 muddler. I would like to fish the shad this year though on the fly . so something half versitile too. I'm not sure on what length of a rod i might want. im thinking a 5-6 weight rod but 9ft length ? Whats the difference between a 2 peice and a four peice ?

Any help appreciated .

- Sick of fishing with worms. Mike

·
Registered
34 Posts
A 5 or 6 wt rod would be a great all around trout rod. would be a nice rod for bass too if u don't throw too many big flies. i would recommend a 9 ft rod, they r the most common and readily available. but if u fish mostly small rivers and streams u might want a shorter rod. u will get greater distance with a longer rod. also a good quality line will aid in your casting distance. there is no functional difference between a 2 or 4 piece rod just they pack down smaller, as far as i know. look at the action of the rod too whether it is fast, med, or any combination. they all cast differently. a faster action rod will allow u to pick up your line a bit faster and deliver the fly quicker, not so important for trout fishing, but they do feel stiffer. hope this helps a bit

·
Registered
15 Posts
You didn't mention what line type you have on the rod. Double Taper or Weight Fortward ? Usually you can get more distance with a WF line. Does your rod have a fast action or a slow one? Is your casting sdtroke in tune with your rod action? You indicate you use a "vintage" Browning rod. I take this to be fiberglas. If so, then it probably has a fairly slow action. This would indicate that a slower stroke might be in order. In the old days this was decribed as a "wet fly" action. In the heyday of fiberglas, manufacturers tried to imitate the action of bamboo rods, which has slow actions.

You might want to look at your casting stroke?

Do you start with the rod tip low to the water, accelerate it while lifting the rod, then stop it properly (approx 1:00 -2:00 on the clock face)? Does the path of your rod tip follow a straight line ( as mich as is possible)? Do you accelerate the delivery stroke, then stop it quickly? Are your casting strokes in the same plane ? Do tailing loops rob you of distance? All these factors need to be evaluated, practiced and perfected. I'm sure you have a good casting stroke, but you may have developped some glitches in it, which may be robbing you of distance.

Also do you know how to Haul and shoot line? Using the Single Haul or Double Haul creates greater line speed during the casting strokes, which in turn can increase the length of cast.

If you want to get a new rod, do,it, but it alone won't necessarily give you what you may be looking for.

Tight lines.

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts
I'm not much of a caster, but I found that cleaning the line regularly makes a big difference as well.

Paul

·
Banned
767 Posts
I'm not much of a caster, but I found that cleaning the line regularly makes a big difference as well.

Paul
Hmmm. Obsessive-compulsive, are we?!? Well, well, well.

Another tip, some expensive lines, and all cheap ones, need periodic stretching. I tie one end to a tree,, then run the line to the backing, then pull hard and long as is reasonable before re-winding on the reel. Shoots further and tangles less.

cheers,

chuck

·
Registered
195 Posts
I like to let the fish do the stretching for me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Put on an 8wt line. If you do not have good timing, a heavier line will help you load the road. Also just as your stop the rod on the forward and back cast, give the handle a squeeze. This helps promote a complete stop of the hand.

Lessons always help.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Put on an 8wt line. If you do not have good timing, a heavier line will help you load the road. Also just as your stop the rod on the forward and back cast, give the handle a squeeze. This helps promote a complete stop of the hand.

Lessons always help.
I start with the tip close to the water, and i have a very fast action forward . My "vintage" rod is a browning silaflex. I'm using a weight forward #7 weight line.

like i said, i just got into it last year so i can honestly say i probally do have some glitches in my casting. And i try to flick my wrist at the last second before release and keep the line as straight as possible...

I might try a different brand of line coupled with a newer faster action rod.

thanks for the tips guys

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts
I like to let the fish do the stretching for me.
Chuck would need to catch a fish first. The trees seem easier to sneak up on and their bark is worse than their bite.

Paul

P.S.: I feel so dirty; must go wash my hands.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I use a 5 wt 8ft st croix was fairly expensive but worth it and seems to cast well but I usually fish in places that would make it hard to use a longer rod. Bought it up in Amherst at rip tide they geared everything up for me even put the line on my reel for me and seemed to have good knowledge.

·
1,353 Posts
Yea Danny at Rip Tide knows his stuff.

·
Banned
767 Posts
Chuck would need to catch a fish first.
Too true. But fish are very unreliable; whereas you can count on a tree to be there when needed. I prize dependability in my line stretchers.

The trees seem easier to sneak up on and their bark is worse than their bite.
Oh, yeah!!?!! If the truth were known, trees bite off way more flies than fish do.

Paul

P.S.: I feel so dirty; must go wash my hands.
I don't want to upset you ,Paul but--how long has it been since you sterilized your keyboard? Think about it. Keep on thinking about it.

Hee hee hee hee, snarf, snarf!!

chuck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts