Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been catching lots of small SMB lately as the big females rest up after the spawn and I'm looking to target something a little bit bigger. I think that I'll head to Grand Lake near Church Point and try to hook into some buffalo. See:

Reliable info from hook and bulls**t

I'd hate to break one of these bad boys off, so what do you recommend for line?

Also, I want to "match the hatch" and I'm not sure how to rig wheat and other long grasses. I did some wheat grunting this morning and I was able to sneak up on a nice patch of it without it noticing me.

As always, I appreciate any advice,
Paul

Reactions: pmorris

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
GOT ONE!

Buffalo

Turns out it's a fish and not a mammal after all. Hell of a fight on a 3-weight rod

Paul

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts
Nice! What the hell is it lol.

Did you catch that thing in Nova Scotia? lol

Freshwater or salt?
That's a smallmouth buffalo and, no, I didn't catch it. I was just kidding around about the serious amount of misinformation on hookandbullet.com

It looks like the site's information is populated via computer algorithm rather than human input. When I started researching some lakes down that way it was suggesting that I would find smallmouth buffalo and sturgeon.

Check out the link in my first post and you'll see what I mean.

Paul

·
Registered
575 Posts
Haha gotcha. I looked it up as soon as I posted before

I looked at that site.. it's showing Grand Lake in Church Point, yet the map is showing Grand Lake in Williamswood (5 minutes from my house) and all that has is 12" brookies and under.

·
Registered
210 Posts
LOL. Buffalo are a real fish. Carp-like in appearance and I'm told that anything that will catch carp will catch buffalo. Having said that. . . I hope they never find them in NS.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Here's a buffalo fish caught recently here in the Niagara region. Note the black eyes. . . a dead giveaway that its not a carp. I'm told they're good eating. Still don't want them in N.S. though!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts