Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What all kinds of shark can you find in nova scotia on a regular basis? I have heard Blue, porbeagle and spiny dogfish but are there any other types?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Hi,laurie, You have named most of the most common ones. We also have the Thresher, The Mako, and the Great White, the largest cousin to the Porbeagle and the Short finned Mako will show up on rare occasions. With the changing temps in the ocean, and increasingly unstable weather,(climate change??) I'm sure some more exotic species will turn up in our inshore waters. Regards...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
was doing a little reading online and quite a few sources claim that the fishing banks of southern NS represent the northern most areas of range of Tiger,hammerhead Oceanic Whiteip and Dusky sharks. i have personally never heard of any of these sharks being in nova scotia waters though. Has anyone else, are they accidental strays or just really rare but regular?

·
Registered
87 Posts
One guy posted on here a few yrs ago that he & his wife were fishing somewhere in the Minas Basin at night for stripers, when they sighted a sand tiger swimming near them. Dogfish are caught starting around the end of August out the Minas Basin shore from here while striper fishing. Whale sharks have been sighted in the outer BOF by folks I know diving for scallops in the early 90's. It really wouldn't surprise me that a Bull would be seen/caught somewhere around here anytime either.

·
Banned
767 Posts
Many years back, at about the time of the "JAWS" scare, I read somewhere that the largest Great White ever seen was caught in a fisherman's net in the Bay of Fundy. Can't back that up, tho'.

cheers,

chuck

·
Banned
613 Posts
What all kinds of shark can you find in nova scotia on a regular basis? I have heard Blue, porbeagle and spiny dogfish but are there any other types?
IMO, the main reason you do not here of many different species of shark being caught in our local waters, is because of the lack of a CATCH & KEEP sportfishery for sharks here in Nova Scotia!!!! If we were allowed to land sharks for our own personal consumption just like every where else in the world, you would hear of more different species of sharks being caught! Because, then you could then get a confirmation on any unusual catches that are landed. The way things are now in NS, if an unknown shark is caught, it has to be released, and most likely will not get reported, and/or ever confirmed by the average weekend fisherman that has a minimal amount of education on different shark species!!!

·
Banned
613 Posts
BTW, here are 2 pics taken last year of a basking shark that visited a cove just up the road from me. The cove is no more than 25ft deep at high tide!!!!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
CF, I believe that the large shark caught in the net in the BOF that you referred to was actually later identified as a basking shark. I have seen quite a few basking shark but I forgot to mention them in my initial reply to laurie. Brain fart. Regards......

·
Banned
613 Posts
Many years back, at about the time of the "JAWS" scare, I read somewhere that the largest Great White ever seen was caught in a fisherman's net in the Bay of Fundy. Can't back that up, tho'.
LOL............................just like everything else you spew here about Sharks, and/or Tuna!!!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
my sources were some sites on the internet that i read the info off of when i was looking for more information about sharks in nova scotia waters.. I did find it interesting for example that there were multiple sites claiming that the Oceanic Whitetips northern range occurrence was Georges Bank, Nova Scotia. i am not sure how reliable the info is because while i am no expert about the Sharks in our waters i have never heard of anyone catching or even seeing an oceanic whiteip shark in nova scotia. I figured i would ask here to see if anyone on the site had any more info concerning this. I posted some of the info if anyone is interested.

Oceanic Whiteip in Nova Scotia?

http://www.marinebiodiversity.ca/shark/english/whitetip.htm
http://homepage.mac.com/mollet/Cl/TheTimes.html
http://hubpages.com/hub/Top-5-most-deadly-sharks-for-human-beings
http://www.marinespecies.org/aphia.php?p=taxdetails&id=105794
http://www.new-brunswick.net/new-brunswick/sharks/species/whitetip.html

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have also read stuff online that says there are dusky and oceanic whitetip Sharks in nova scotia but i don't know anyone who has caught one or forn that matter even claimed to have seen one. Heard that hammerheads have been seen at the mouth of saint margarets bay and elsewhere along the atlantic coast and at the mouth of the bay of fundy. I have never heard of any being confirmed though. Have heard that Tiger sharks have been taken a few tinmes by offshore fishermen near the waters of the gulf stream but i don't have any specific details.I do know that the Greenland Shark is definitly present on the Scotian Shelf. I don't know how numerous they are but they have been confirmed by fishermen and implicated in seal predation on sable island. It should be noted that while the bulk of the predation is beleived to be the work of the Greenland shark other species have been confirmed as being involved in some cases including i beleive the Great White. Here is some info from DFO about Sharks though it only concerns the common species.

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/peches-fisheries/ifmp-gmp/shark-requin/shark-requin2002-eng.htm

Info about Sable island sharks

http://www.greenhorsesociety.com/sharks/shark_predation.htm

·
Banned
767 Posts
CF, I believe that the large shark caught in the net in the BOF that you referred to was actually later identified as a basking shark. I have seen quite a few basking shark but I forgot to mention them in my initial reply to laurie. Brain fart. Regards......
Hi SM;

Not to start a debate over an historical incident, but wrt to your observation I cannot see how anybody who makes their living from the sea, such as the good folk of Grand Manan, could confuse a Basking Shark for a Great White. So I googled it.

http://new-brunswick.net/new-brunswick/sharks/mar2197.html

Now, it is in the nature of all fish that they grow exponentially over the time period between when they are caught, and when you first hear about them. Therefore the size of this particular specimen could have expanded greatly with re-telling, but not, I think, change its specie. Moreover, a few teeth were kept for souvenirs. Basking sharks are not famous for their teeth, while Great Whites are, most certainly. Also, since Great White teeth would have been old hat to the fisherfolk of the time [1930], they would know their average dimensions well enough to recognize size XXXL; i.e., something big enough to be worth showing off, when they saw one.

WRT the tooth the good professor examined, we do not know if it was one of the souvenir teeth from that fish, or some other. Too bad that the fishers who caught 'the big one' didn't create a 'Kodak moment' and leave us a photo. Maybe the Brownie had yet to be invented, or, more likely, nobody there at the time could afford one. That tooth, he says, came from an 18 foot long GW; i.e., one about the same size as the one caught and photographed off P.E.I in 1983. I doubt it.

IAC, GW's are reputed to reach 28 feet in the neighbourhood of Australia, so maybe they do exist. I can easily believe that the professional fishers of Grand Manan caught a fish of about that size in 1930, and that by 1935, when they finally reported it to the professors, it had grown an extra 10 ft.

But a Basking shark?!? With trophy-sized teeth?! I think not.

cheers,

chuck

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
The incident I was referring to happened, as you said, sometime during the '70s. I was relying on my memory. At the time, I was living in the Valley and I believe it was reported in the local paper of some community in the BOF area. I was NOT referring to the "NB legend" which took place some 40 years earlier and about which I was already aware. Regards....

·
Banned
767 Posts
The incident I was referring to happened, as you said, sometime during the '70s. I was relying on my memory. At the time, I was living in the Valley and I believe it was reported in the local paper of some community in the BOF area. I was NOT referring to the "NB legend" which took place some 40 years earlier and about which I was already aware. Regards....
So another misreading? Glad we were able to clear that up. I read about the "N.B. Legend" after seeing "Jaws", tho' in what newspaper/magazine I cannot re-call. Nor can I recall the Basking Shark incident of which you speak. But there was lots of 'shark phobia' going around at the time, and now most of it's forgotten. At least by me.

cheers,

chuck

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
BTW, the invention of the Kodak Brownie predated the "NB legend" by at least 30 years, having taken place sometime during 1900. Regards....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts