Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Sorry Perry, but judging by the large mouth and small scales the fish is a chub. Shiners have large scales and a small mouth in relation to the head and eyes. I should know, I've caught dozens of the little buggers in New Brunswick while smallie fishing. The larger chub really put up a good fight on fly gear.

Darren

·
Banned
585 Posts
The weird thing is, that a creek chub or chub, when it gets to maturity has horns on the front of it's face. Three to be precise and they are pretty hard to miss. The scale of the hands to fish ratio looks to be of that size or bigger but no horns or protrusions of any kind, the head is quite smooth...perhaps it is a large shiner or an abnormally large immature chub. Weird.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for all the in put, did not think it was a chub the ones I saw years ago had little horns that were light green I had caught in brooks not sure of the rest of what they look like .This fish was about 7 inch. long and gave a good fight like a trout.Thought it might be a lake whitefish have only seen the drawings in the angler's handbook don't know how good they are for ID fish It had a forked tail.

John

·
Registered
195 Posts
It's not a whitefish, I would have said chub as well, but like travis said, there's no horns.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Only the males develop horns and only when they are mating.
That's something I did not know. Interesting.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mystery solved.... never new that about chubs only caught them wile trout fishing in brooks in the spring, must be the time of year that they spawn.There are other fish in our lakes that there is not much knowledge about,DNR should put pics.
in the angler's handbook.Thanks

John

·
Registered
35 Posts
troutin u answered my question i was going to say i caught something that looks like that but it had horns? i was like HUH? Thanks for solve my mystery

1 - 12 of 12 Posts