Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some info's on fly to use on a small lake with native trout. I went to a small lake on sunday and saw some trout rising, so I tryed with diferent kind of fly (adams,royal wuff,elk hair caddis) no luck.

Thank and have fun fishing

·
Registered
57 Posts
Any idea what the hatch was? That would go a long way in giving you a clue as to what to use. LOL.. overturn a rock or two.. the Adams is a good mayfly imitation as far as attractor patterns go. Just remember that if you don't have the exact fly that's hatching use something close in a similar size. If you overturned a rock or two... what type of nymph did you see?

Alex

On the Woolly Bugger.... you could do far worse than having a box full of those... my go to.

·
Registered
210 Posts
You might see trout rising and flies coming from the surface, but the fish may be taking rising nymphs and not fully emerged adults. Some emerger patterns can never hurt. The woolly bugger is a good choice, so is the muddler minnow. Lately I've been having luck with a black marabou leech.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank for your reply. The only flies that we saw were mosquitos and some tiny black fly.

yan

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well if there were mosquitos... there is a mosquito pattern. If you saw some real tiny flies... they were likely midges... try a dry like a Griffith's Gnat.

Alex

Toss some Buggers as well though... try a size 8 or so.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Below are some that might work for you.

·
1,353 Posts
That's good advice in previous post bugman. I used the Klinks I got from you last year this spring, awesome!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Klinks or some type of emerger work really well this time of year after most of the hatches.. I find something that is almost a dry fly but is a little bit sub surface really hammers the brookies, not that I'm a pro, but i have had great success on these, sometimes a little bit of holographic material will really make a difference on bright days!

Also there are many variations in color and size with regards to the elkhair caddis fly, if you have any with green/orange bellies I also find they work great as well, they are my go to fly for this time of season, and spent two days last week catching trout after trout all day on just this one fly!!!!

Hope this helps you land a beaut!!!

good luck

·
Registered
195 Posts
Klinks would be a good choice. I would also try some wets. Dk Montreal is a good pattern and the Picket Pin has become one of my go to wet patterns. A sparse Mickey Finn would be good to try as well. I love fishing lakes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts