Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I live right by it, I thought I'd start a general discussion on the West River in Pictou County. I'm new to the area, moved here about a year ago now and new to fly fishing. I'm slowly starting to learn the different runs and pools (I think that's the correct terminology) and am curious if anyone would like to post their favourites.

Here are mine.

Although it's not the prettiest spot, I've had the most luck at the Hwy 4 bridge. Seems to be a good spot for Sea run Trout, and Browns, although I've never caught anything of any size (seen em though). I've fished the power lines further upstream in the fall for salmon, and am thinking of trying that spot for trout some time. Talked to a few people there that say it's a good spot. Fished up at the graveyard near the park, but am not sure where the holes are yet. And finally, have tried up at the Durham bridge, but again not sure exactly where the best spots are. I'd love to know if there are any other places to get down to the river that are worthwhile.

If anyone that fly fishes and knows the river would like to get out some time, send me a message, it'd be great to trade some stories.

nsflatlander

·
Admin
551 Posts
Hi there.

I was once fortunate enough to live near the West River for a few years, and that is where I cut my teeth on sea run trout as well as Fall Atlantic Salmon. I have walked/waded almost every inch of the river at one point or another, and while I'm still no expert, I may be able to offer some potentially useful information. Feel free to PM me any specific questions and I'll do my best to give an informative reply.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Browns? In the West River in Pictou County? I know there are browns in the West River in Antigonish County. You sure you're not getting them mixed up? If there are browns in the Pictou County West River, I'd definitely like to know more about that.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Browns? In the West River in Pictou County? I know there are browns in the West River in Antigonish County. You sure you're not getting them mixed up? If there are browns in the Pictou County West River, I'd definitely like to know more about that.
Not getting them mixed up, a friend of mine takes me out night fishing there and surrounding tribs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been told by more than a few people that there are browns in that river. And there was a fish under the #4 bridge last year that I saw resting at the bottom of the pool on more than one occasion that would have to be a brown. It was at least 8 or 10 lbs if not more. If I remember correctly, that would have been late spring early summer, from what I understand to early to be salmon. Mr. Magician, are you able to give any hints about where some good spots are for night fishing, without giving away your honey holes.

nsflatlander

·
Registered
50 Posts
Night fishing on West River Pictou is illegal.

I've been told by more than a few people that there are browns in that river. And there was a fish under the #4 bridge last year that I saw resting at the bottom of the pool on more than one occasion that would have to be a brown. It was at least 8 or 10 lbs if not more. If I remember correctly, that would have been late spring early summer, from what I understand to early to be salmon. Mr. Magician, are you able to give any hints about where some good spots are for night fishing, without giving away your honey holes.

nsflatlander

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
By night fish, I assumed he meant late evening to dusk. Is it even possible to fly fish at night? The only night fishing I've ever done is for walleye out in Northern Ontario, and that was a pretty surreal experience. I'm going to have to do some more research because that would be pretty neat.

There are some browns in the West Pictou, and yes, it is illegal to night fish on it or it's tribs. Hopefully you meant River John as I think that is the only one in the area open to night fishing.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Are there brook/speckled trout on the West as well? I'm still looking for a nice river to wade and fish not too far from Dartmouth. My preferred river is the Middle in CB but that is too far for a day trip. Any suggestions about where to fish the West(Pictou) would be appreciated. I don't know the area so am looking off of a map. Thank you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, there are speckled on the West. Haven't found many rivers in Nova Scotia yet where there aren't. Like I've said, I'm a bit of a newbie at this so you may take my comments with a grain of salt. I'm thinking that lately the water level would be a bit low and the weather a bit warm. I know we had a big dump of rain on Wednesday which may have helped, but I haven't been out since then. Late evenings would probably be ok though.

If you take exit 19 off the 104 at Salt Springs and turn right on to the #4, you'll cross the river in about 2 minutes. You can turn off just before the bridge on the West side of the river and park there. Wade up or down, while I find going up to be a nicer, and slightly deeper. I plan to make separate posts with directions to more pools as I find them, but if you want to message me directly if you are coming up, I'll send you what I've found so far.

Are there brook/speckled trout on the West as well? I'm still looking for a nice river to wade and fish not too far from Dartmouth. My preferred river is the Middle in CB but that is too far for a day trip. Any suggestions about where to fish the West(Pictou) would be appreciated. I don't know the area so am looking off of a map. Thank you.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yes, there are speckled on the West. Haven't found many rivers in Nova Scotia yet where there aren't. Like I've said, I'm a bit of a newbie at this so you may take my comments with a grain of salt. I'm thinking that lately the water level would be a bit low and the weather a bit warm. I know we had a big dump of rain on Wednesday which may have helped, but I haven't been out since then. Late evenings would probably be ok though.

If you take exit 19 off the 104 at Salt Springs and turn right on to the #4, you'll cross the river in about 2 minutes. You can turn off just before the bridge on the West side of the river and park there. Wade up or down, while I find going up to be a nicer, and slightly deeper. I plan to make separate posts with directions to more pools as I find them, but if you want to message me directly if you are coming up, I'll send you what I've found so far.
Im sure if you make posts to directions to pools ther may be a few unhappy fishermen lol. Not saying that it isnt a good idea but I know of some people that would probably not want there honey holes posted all over the fourm, just my opinion...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi Folks. Is the river open now? I see in the regs, if I am reading it right, that the west river pictou county is closed until May15 downstream from the 104 hwy bridge? Is this the bridge in Salt Springs or am I looking at the wrong river. Fishing this river is on my bucket list for this season but want to make sure of when it is legal
Also is it a flyfishing only river?

·
Registered
90 Posts
its closed from the 104 highway like the one to truro the main highway from the highway down is closed up from that is open tho and you can fish whatever there no regs for bait as far as i know ive talked to fishiries there using worm and they never said anything so your good to go

·
Registered
90 Posts
well seeing the river is closed id hope no one has fished it the past few days. It doesnt open till the 15th and where it is open from the highway up i wouldnt really consider it river more like a bigger brook. Ive walked up before but no luck when i went.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Im sure if you make posts to directions to pools ther may be a few unhappy fishermen lol. Not saying that it isnt a good idea but I know of some people that would probably not want there honey holes posted all over the fourm, just my opinion...
he's probably done it by now... :rolleyes:
That's funny, I ended up back at this old post while searching for something else. I find your comments amusing considering how public the list of pools are for rivers such as these. Here's just the first example I pulled up out of google http://www.antigonishriversassociation.ca/maps/pictou-east-west-rivers.pdf.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yes the pools are posted for everyone to see but I fish this river regularly and there are so many more pools and holes then posted on those maps. I forgot about the map of the pools I would have posted about that but to actually walk the river and fish the entire thing there are way more then the ones your talking about in your post.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Yes the pools are posted for everyone to see but I fish this river regularly and there are so many more pools and holes then posted on those maps. I forgot about the map of the pools I would have posted about that but to actually walk the river and fish the entire thing there are way more then the ones your talking about in your post.
Who gave the info away.......bahahaha

1 - 20 of 20 Posts