Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Growing up on a small island where we could see Nova Scotia sometimes Nova Scotia would appear much larger than others. Sometimes it became so plain we could see the church at Arisag - especially in the winter. My Grandfather always said in that case "The Land is looming up - a storm is coming".
It was taken as a sign of an impending storm - someone higher up was telling fishermen and sailors to get to port quickly.
Tonight on Mahone Bay the land is looming up and indeed the Girls on the Weather Network agree with my Grandfather.
My question for you all - was this a common weather indicator in other parts of the Maritimes?
Thanks
Paul

·
1,353 Posts
Never heard of that one Paul but if your Grandfather said it I beleve it to be true. There is a lot of old observations that have held me in good stead! There was a hore frost this am. Storm and change in temp comeing and I dont need a TV weather person to know it's comeing in 48 hrs! lol

·
Registered
523 Posts
To add to Tony's explanation of the Moon Dog - and to answer Paul's question:
The answer is that the land in the distance appears to loom up, especially over an open horizon (like water or prairies), when there is more moisture in the air (and this is what causes the "ring" around the moon - water vapour in the air). The water in the air "bends", or more scientifically reflects, the scene more and makes it appear to loom up. Hence your old wisdom that when this happens a storm is approaching is correct in that the condition of more moisture in the air occurs when a storm is approaching - and of course when the storm comes the horizon visibility is lowered so it only goes to a certain extent. As an aside, I used to teach my Grade 10 Geography class that many of these "weather sayings" are quite accurate in the short term - "wind from the east, fish bite least" is accurate as in a low pressure fish turn off - usually lows in the fishing season in NS come with an east wind, hence the correctness. They aren't bullet proof, but they do work pretty well in many cases. Don't be fooled by climate predications, though - the bit about wooly caterpillars being prescient about winter to come etc is not scientifically accurate nor incidentally provable.
Bill

·
Registered
587 Posts
To add to Tony's explanation of the Moon Dog - and to answer Paul's question:
cases. Don't be fooled by climate predications, though - the bit about wooly caterpillars being prescient about winter to come etc is not scientifically accurate nor incidentally provable.
Bill
Thanks Bill - Sounds reasonable.
You could have added to "Don't be fooled by climate predications" the Weather Network ( lol ). or you could watch Boston TV where every storm is the "storm of the winter", a couple a winter are "Storm of the decade" and at least one a winter is "Storm of the century". And we thought there were rules about false advertising.
Paul

1 - 7 of 7 Posts