Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure where the best place to put this is but i am going to throw it out here and see if i can get some feedback. A few years ago i made a large pond, was hoping to attract some waterfowl to it and maybe even use it for some hunting. Its got large grassy marshey areas, islands ect.Not too long ago i found out it was filled with chain pickerel. I beleive they migrated in naturally through a small stream when the water was high in the spring. Anyway my first question is will this pond still be any good whatsoever for waterfowl habitat or will these large predatory fish prevent any waterfowl from using my pond? Secondly is there anything i can do to improve the situation for example errecting nest boxes, planting some sort of aquatic food plant ect.To also clarify i'm not too picky about what kind of waterfowl i would be able to attract, anything will do, geese, mergansers, wigeon, black ducks ect.I posted this to the hunting forum as well but figured i would throw it out here as well since i am trying to get as much feedback as possible and i know quite a few members fish pickerel and have experience with them in the natural environment here in nova scotia.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Don't be surprised if the very waterfowl you're attracting are the ones who brought the fish in. A few eggs stuck to plumage or feet is all it takes.

You don't say how big the pond is, but if its really big I'd say let it be.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've definitly heard plenty of tales about pickerel eating ducklings which is why i was wondering whether there can be any level of co-existance and whether using certain methods to attract waterfowl or trying to attract certain species (like say canada geese or mergansers)would allow for at least some sort of population.Its a pretty large pond so i'm hoping that even with these fish present in it i might still be able to have a few waterfowl anyway.I don't have a lot of experience with Pickerel but i know they are large predatory fish and there are plenty in the surrounding area. I've personally only fished for them a few times, usually i concentrate on trout.

·
Registered
91 Posts
In all the lakes that have pickerel in them that i fish it dont seem to make a different the ducks are right in the weeds where the pickerel are as well. I have never seen a pickerel strike a duck or babies even fishn topwater around the ducks hookn pickerel. Im sure the odd baby will be taken by bigger pickerel tho. Just my opinion

·
Registered
203 Posts
Tonnes of lakes here with pickeral,plenty of ducks and ducklings swimming right with them.
Like said above I'm sure the odd one gets taking but nothing to be alarmed about.

·
Streamside ProStaff
546 Posts
I will have to agree with all the lakes I have fished with Pikerel in them I have also seen ducks and ducklings in them as well and they don't seem all the concerned with what is under the water. I have seen them go through one area and we have cast directly after they have left an area and landed fish. This is not to say that a very large pikerel couldn't bring a young duck down and consume it but I would think it would be unlikely. Usually the larger cousins of the pike families will make this step but most Pikerel don't get large enough to be that threat. Just my opinion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts