Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
HELLO ALL!

My boyfriend and I love trout fishing, and we live in an area that has no shortage of lakes, rivers and brooks. We've tried several of them so far this year, but we are wondering if anyone else in our area may be able to suggest some good places close to home to try? We're always looking for a change of scenery.
...And a new place to pick up ticks... hahaha!! We're hoping to find some places in the Lower Vaughan/ New Ross Road/ Windsor area. Suggestions, please?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
are you guys interested in fishing for any other types of fish or just trout?
Laurie;

We'd be interested in other types of fish, sure... I'm told that there is good bass fishing in our local area, but the reason I ask about the trout, is that they are likely our favorite. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Respectfully.... If it is a good trout spot, it won't be after its put on the internet.
Palmer lake was a good example.
Well, I can understand. I'm not out to see a lake/river over fished...Usually, we try to go somewhere new as often as possible...
We were just wondering for the sake of wondering. I'm just back into freshwater fishing myself this year, I haven't done it since I was a kid. And the Mister, he's only been fishing a bit off and on the past few years. It's an outing we enjoy making together. If nobody here feels they would like to mention publicly some places we could/should try; you could always send me a PM, I won't give it away!
Thanks for reading!

·
Banned
585 Posts
Realistically if people mismanage a resourse it is not the posters (person that puts it on the internet)fault it is the person that mismanaged the resourse.....back on topic now.

http://www.gov.ns.ca/fish/sportfishing/stocked/

This is a great list and should be some in your area! Good luck fishing it out! LOL Notice there is a list for spring and fall, you will also find that the same lakes for the most part are on both lists.

Try catch and release if you are looking for new things to try and new spots, it can only help the future. Then again that stocking list could be considered by some a 'put and take' fishery. ENJOY!

Trav

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well, I can understand. I'm not out to see a lake/river over fished...Usually, we try to go somewhere new as often as possible...
We were just wondering for the sake of wondering. I'm just back into freshwater fishing myself this year, I haven't done it since I was a kid. And the Mister, he's only been fishing a bit off and on the past few years. It's an outing we enjoy making together. If nobody here feels they would like to mention publicly some places we could/should try; you could always send me a PM, I won't give it away!
Thanks for reading!
I think its great that you enjoy the outdoors, I hope I didn't come across as a d%ck.
But in my experience, as someone who lives in the Windsor area as well, trout like the one you posted up are hard to come by. And there are more people around interested in going home with fish than are just out to enjoy the fishing like us.
I work hard to find spots that hold trout, and usually the ones like you have there are in places with little fishing pressure. So when/if I do find one, about the only people I share it with are people I know will respect it IE follow the bag limits, not leave garbage etc.... Now I'm absolutely not saying you don't follow the laws, but there are people that don't care and giving up a good spot on the internet makes it a bit easy for them.
Everybody can look in the fishing guide to see whats stocked, obviously Meadow pond & the pond down by the the St Croix ballfield. If your in Lower Vaughns, the river system that includes Mockingee right down to the Avon does have fish as well.... pretty much in your backyard. Palmer Lake still has fish, but nothing like it was at one time.
IMHO.... your going to find the best trout fishing far from the beaten paths. Thats how they live long enough to get big, because nobodys there to catch them.
Also a ton of awesome bass fishing around, LRL and BRL are as good as it gets. Theres actually quite an assortment of fish in that system.

Travis.... Obviously if people mismanage a resource its not the posters fault they don't follow the laws. But they wouldn't have the chance to break the laws in a good spot if they don't know where it is. I don't know about you, but I don't have that much faith in people I don't know based on what I've experienced so far.
I don't think you can automatically assume that everybody that reads this has good intentions.
Make no mistake, theres freezer fillers looking at these threads too.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Lady-Di, if you are willing to travel a little bit there are quite a few spots in the Kennetcook River with some nice trout in them. I've had some fairly good luck there this year. Its also got sucker, pickerel, gaspereau ect.in it. Likewise the Walton River is up that way as well and it is also a pretty good trout spot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello again, everyone!

I can assure you we respect the area we are in, not so much as a cigarette butt is left behind. (I like geocaching as well, so the "Cache in - Trash out" mantra is well ingrained in my mind...) I'm not trying to start an issue here, I'm not out to "fill my freezer" (We don't even have a deep freeze... just the fridge freezer, haha.. not much room for anything in there!
) I was merely looking for some suggestions about somewhere we might enjoy going. If you don't want to share an idea, DON'T. I can understand you want to protect your secret lucky spot, the environment, and the fish and other critters which dwell within. Also, as said before, if you'd like to give us an idea for somewhere new we could try, but don't want to post it publicly for the 'vultures', I'm always open to an email or PM. It's not that we are out to catch and keep everything, we generally let go what we get lucky to catch... I didn't mean to create a faux pas equal to that of 'asking a lady her age'. I was only looking for a few suggestions from those here who are more experienced than ourselves.
Travis, I want to thank you very much for that link you posted, it was some good information.
Also, Laurie... You say parts of the Kennetcook river are decent as well? I went to school in Kennetcook, did my growing up in West Gore; so the area is quite well known to me. It's been years since I have been fishing in that area, I'm glad to know it is still worth trying. Perhaps a trip that way this weekend or next is in order.... I know my parents wouldn't mind a surprise visit, lol... Again, a huge thanks to those trying to help out a returning novice to world of freshwater fishing. My fishing over the last few years has been done on a boat in the St. Margaret's Bay area... Fun, but it's nice to try something different.
To everyone else, please... don't take offense to someone who is only trying to learn. Happy Casting!

·
Registered
33 Posts
At the risk of running into a huge debate, I just find it's a prudent protocol to ask (there's certainly nothing wrong with that), but request the response to be sent to your email. I usually email people, and if they respond, great, if not, that's fine too. It just gets out of hand when you publicly respond to the internet, and you're not sure who is recieving (and/or how they're going to use) the information.
Just my humble opinion,
Tight lines everyone

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Lady Di I had some luck last weekend at St Criox pond { honey hole} 30 landed in 1.5 hours , using a tiny mosquitofly 4 feet of line and a tiny bobber as a strike indicator. MEADOW HAS BEEN STOCKED, and 3 Mile brook up around the corner, Canoe only will get you there , skinny waters.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hello again, everyone!

I can assure you we respect the area we are in, not so much as a cigarette butt is left behind. (I like geocaching as well, so the "Cache in - Trash out" mantra is well ingrained in my mind...) I'm not trying to start an issue here, I'm not out to "fill my freezer" (We don't even have a deep freeze... just the fridge freezer, haha.. not much room for anything in there!
) I was merely looking for some suggestions about somewhere we might enjoy going. If you don't want to share an idea, DON'T. I can understand you want to protect your secret lucky spot, the environment, and the fish and other critters which dwell within. Also, as said before, if you'd like to give us an idea for somewhere new we could try, but don't want to post it publicly for the 'vultures', I'm always open to an email or PM. It's not that we are out to catch and keep everything, we generally let go what we get lucky to catch... I didn't mean to create a faux pas equal to that of 'asking a lady her age'. I was only looking for a few suggestions from those here who are more experienced than ourselves.
Travis, I want to thank you very much for that link you posted, it was some good information.
Also, Laurie... You say parts of the Kennetcook river are decent as well? I went to school in Kennetcook, did my growing up in West Gore; so the area is quite well known to me. It's been years since I have been fishing in that area, I'm glad to know it is still worth trying. Perhaps a trip that way this weekend or next is in order.... I know my parents wouldn't mind a surprise visit, lol... Again, a huge thanks to those trying to help out a returning novice to world of freshwater fishing. My fishing over the last few years has been done on a boat in the St. Margaret's Bay area... Fun, but it's nice to try something different.
To everyone else, please... don't take offense to someone who is only trying to learn. Happy Casting!
At the old site, there was even a rule about posting up pictures of dead fish.
I saw some guys who didn't know really take some heat over it lol.

Its kind of the unwritten rule.... You can ask just about anyone about what lures to use for certain fish, fishing techniques, things of that nature that will help your game.
But the actual work in trout fishing is finding the trout.... If you have a GPS and are involved in geocaching, than you know what you have to do.
IMHO... If you really want to get respect from fellow fishermen, don't take the easy way out.
You will get way more satisfaction from picking out a body of water on google earth, getting the co-ordinates, and getting there. And if theres fish there, then you just worked to get something that most people don't know exists. And if theres no fish there, then its just like geo-caching.
I'm to cheap to buy a GPS so I do it with a map and compass.
Trust me... There are nice trout around, but they are reserved for the people that take the time to find them. I can almost guarantee you that nobody who catchs a 20' trout in a hike in lake is going to tell you where he caught it.

I know your somewhat new to fishing and I honestly don't think you meant any harm by asking. I know you're not out to fill your freezer either.
Its just that you need to understand that if you put up a picture of a nice fish where thousands of people can see it, and tell them where you caught it, people will come looking for that spot.

·
Registered
58 Posts
lady-di, didn't realize you were from up Kennetcook way, i fish out there a fair bit, got a few friends out that way.If you don't have much luck in the river,you have probably heard of Noel Lake, its pretty near a guranteed catch of something most of the time. Lots of trout in the river running out of it and if they aren't biteing you can catch lots of yellow perch, sucker, catfish and eels up in the lake. We've had trips in the past where we caught and released 50 plus perch and catfish. Not a whole lot of size to them but it turns around a slow trout day. Anywhere near the bridge on the lake road is a good spot (its pretty popular during the height of fishing season) but you can catch something most anywhere in that system. Also another decent spot out that way is Hines Lake, you really almost need some sort of boat or canoe to fish it (shoreline is really marshy) but its full of Pickerel and has some real monsters in it. Also you can get a few gaspereau back there in the spring.The Brook flowing out of it (the first white bridge after the hants county pub)is a decent spot as well and easy to get to as its right on the road.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't fish in your area, but if your are looking for new places I have a few areas in the lake echo/porters lake area. A canoe is helpful as I often portage. For fishing really means adventure and catching fish is only a bonus, I keep a meal 50% of the time but release far more then I did as a kid in newfoundland. I tell almost every one my honey holes because I find people are far to lazy to put in the effort it takes to portage into a pond or even hike a few kilometers. Todays society wants everything at there finger tips whcih is great, it saves all the real treasures for me and my kids to find and experience.

"I now drown worms as a hobby, when I retire it will be full time"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts