Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hi
I was in Town today and among other things I saw were Owner Wacky Hooks.
Owner hooks are usually good. With the straight eyes and small wire - for their size they look like they will work pretty good on tube flies.
Has anyone used them for whatever rig and did you like them?
The price is not too bad.
Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think owner makes the sharpest hooks out there. R they the chisel point?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I use mostly matzuo octopus hooks for my tubes but i have used the owners for wacky rigging softplastics in bass tourneys.They basically hook themselves(the fish that is). Super sharp. They should be realy good for tubes as well. Usually rig mine point up so hook acts as a keel to keep fly upright. With the straight eye u will probably have to set them hook point down to keep the fly from rolling over. Not sure if i would rig them that way for salmon(to avoid snagging) but they r deffinatly good hooks.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use mostly matzuo octopus hooks for my tubes but i have used the owners for wacky rigging softplastics in bass tourneys.They basically hook themselves(the fish that is). Super sharp. They should be realy good for tubes as well. Usually rig mine point up so hook acts as a keel to keep fly upright. With the straight eye u will probably have to set them hook point down to keep the fly from rolling over. Not sure if i would rig them that way for salmon(to avoid snagging) but they r deffinatly good hooks.
Thanks Jamie - I'll look some matzuo hooks up.
On tube I put the point down if I think the fish will come from below or in the case of bombers and bugs the point up because the fish will come over the top. My reason is better hooking this way even if I do get hooked up once in a while.
Have a good spring
Paul

·
Registered
641 Posts
I tried the Owner Wacky hooks in size 1 last year; I had trouble getting a good hook set. They look kind of like a circle hook, without the sharp inward bend at the point. And I had zero luck hooking fish on circle hooks. I went back to Gamakatsu Octopus hooks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts