Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, this is a follow up question to one I posted in the Fly Fishing forum about landlocked salmon fly selection. The patterns suggested seemed to mostly be dressed as tandem rigged flies. Does anyone have a tried and true method of attaching the two hooks together? Do you use a specific type of wire? Do you attach the rear hook with a loop or just use tying thread to secure each end of the wire to the rear and front hooks respectively? There's a few methods online, but sometimes it's tough to separate the good from the crap with the online 'experts'. Presuming I'm lucky enough to connect with one, I'd hate to lose my first landlocked to go swimming away with a crappily tied rear hook in it's mouth connected to nothing!

·
Registered
806 Posts
i posted in your earlier post , and i'll post again!
i use heavy mono , for both my weed guard and my tandems!i burn the one end, tie it in [it will have a ball end] , then i burn the end on the following hook. so you have a ball on each end!this has to pull through the thread to pull out!not likely!so you get a fly that is [imo] perfect!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brilliant! Easier and cheaper than wire and the burnt end idea is great. Thanks for the posts!

·
Registered
806 Posts
Brilliant! Easier and cheaper than wire and the burnt end idea is great. Thanks for the posts!
not a problem, actually i quoted the article in my book about the miss sharon, and in the photo it was tied this way with a treble on the back!

·
Registered
806 Posts
IMHO just go with some 2-6 Carrie Stevens singles

CF gives great advice on the waether as well. good Luck

·
Registered
195 Posts

I would agree, a 10xl Carrie Stevens would do great or even a 6 or 8xl might do the trick.

·
Registered
806 Posts

i agree as well robbie!i even do it on the hair jigs i tie!i use a #6 trailer on them .lol just remember this, when your tieing on the mono remember to put it through the eye of the trailer hook[if using an up turned trailer hook], BEFORE youburn the other end of the mono!i've made this mistake more times then i care to say!lol[the burned ball won't fit through the eye of the hook]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts