Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Needed to tie up some muddlers for a friend and the turkey feathers are getting used up. Now my question is do you use the white tipped barbules at the end of the feather for muddler wings?
Any help appreciated
Paul

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi
Needed to tie up some muddlers for a friend and the turkey feathers are getting used up. Now my question is do you use the white tipped barbules at the end of the feather for muddler wings?
Any help appreciated
Paul
You could use any part of the feather, depending on preference of colour and shape that you want. I personally dont like the white in there and stick to the darker shades. The Marabou muddler is a great variant to try.

·
Registered
106 Posts
i just use malard flank for tails and wings as used in the rolled muddler, Way easier to work with and fishes better too imho! i also use a sml beedhead to get the fly down a bit.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to Flymart and JCampbell for the nice tips.
You can be sure a few nights at the Mug will be used
on these tips.
Now with the hunting season just around the corner, I will be
on the lookout for a nice mallard drake, also a green winged teal
drake has nice feathers. Both are delicious after a trip to a hot
oven. No Catch and Release with those fellows!
Have a nice day and thanks again.
Paul

·
Registered
806 Posts
with hunting season right around the bend , keep this in mind . I use goose wing instead of turkey , gives a darker top side profile , but i see nothing wrong with that . if you know a goose hunter ask him to clip off a set of wings for you next time their cleaning some up .

·
Registered
210 Posts
You can tie all sorts of flies with a muddler head. I have a few I tied with Fuschia bunny strips behind the head. Bass seem to love them. I also tried a few "deceiver" type flies with muddler heads that have also gotten the attention of a few bass and pike.

For traditional muddlers, you can use the white tips if you want. . . you'll still be tying flies that catch fish.

·
1,353 Posts
Paul, I have an endless supply of turkey feathers as a friend raises them. I only use grouse tail feathers for my muddlers and prefer the red phrase. I started to use them years ago when my turkey feathers needed to be replaced and have never gone back. That said there is no such thing as a bad muddler!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts