Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i am starting this topic to get some info, i am hoping to hear from some of you who have done this trip we are planning on on going in july and i am wondering about the regulations in quebec. i know in labrador you can fish within 800m of a provincial highway without a guide or direct family member who is a resident. is it the same in Quebec as there is a lot of that trip that takes place there. any insite on this trip would be greatly appreciated. thanks oh yeah and to any of you that have done it or know someone who has how was the fishing?

thanks

·
1,353 Posts
I have made the trip a number of times but my destination was Goose Bay and only fished a couple times takeing a pit stop! I make a reservation for the last crossing at Matane and get a room in Bay Comeau. Next day travel to Labrodor City and the next day is a short day to Goose. It was a rough dirt road but now a lot of it is paved. Take a Jerry can of gas.......long way between fill ups!

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have also made the trip several times from one end to the other. If you coming in from Baie Comeau you will need a non resident Quebec fishing license and there are plenty of places to stop and fish while in Quebec. The road from Baie Comeau to Manac 5(Hydro Dam) is all paved but rougher on the Baie Comeau side. If coming in the summer months be prepared for lots of stops for road construction. Once across the dam at Manac 5 you will be on very good gravel road, but be aware of very fast moving tractor trailers and flying rocks/dust! You should also fill up with fuel at Manac 5 as your gas comsumption will go up on the gravel road. There are a few random sections of pavement around what used to be mining towns. There is another gas stop between Manac 5 and Fermont(Quebec/Labrador border). These 2 fill ups will get you to Lab City without a problem.

If you are headed toward Goose Bay from Lab City there is only about 35 km of unpaved road now and that will change quickly once June comes. Fill up in Lab City and again in Churchill Falls and that will get you to Goose Bay. Once in Labrador you will cross many waterways and the fishing can be tough right along the highway until you cross the Churchill River and then it gets alot better. If you are continuing to say Blanc Sablon you will be driving on gravel all the way to Red Bay. They are upgrading the Churchill end for paving so be be prepared for road construction and there are always graders working along the road. On this section of road you will cross many Trout brooks, the Eagle and Paradise Rivers. You will need to fill up in Port Hope/Simpson(Alexis River) before continuing toward Red Bay. Pavement(rough) starts at Red Bay and continues all the way to Blanc Sablon. On this section you will cross many wonderful Salmon Rivers including the St. Lewis, St. Mary's, Shinney's Brook, Pinware and Forteau Brook. Once in Blanc Sablon you can catch the ferry over to Newfoundland and begin another excellant adventure across the island.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great info. Thanks a lot. What time of year is the best balance of less bugs and decent fishing. Also the way that I read the law is that if u are north of the 52 parralell that u need a guide regardless of whether u are 800m from a provincial highway. Am I right in that? And can I fish in Quebec without guide? If anyone knows that would be great.
Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the way that i read the regs is that north of 52 parralell you need the services of an outfitter and the 800 m from road does not apply. from lab city up pretty much is above that line. am i right in asuming this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi We are soon driving Quebec Rt 389 to Lab City and on to Goose Bay, Blanc Salon. I would like to know if anyone knows how much is still unpaved.

Also can I fish along the road? I am an amateur fisherman and would love to hear suggestions for what to use? Spinners, Daredevils, etc??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts