Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever fished it? What species would one catch there, i assume speckled trout but what about other types? Any Smallmouth Bass, perch, eels, catfish white sucker ect.

·
1,353 Posts
It is a wonderful place to do a wilderness trip. No motors allowed. The portages are well marked and some quite a challange but the rewards are great. tenting, fishing and canoeing in a wilderness setting is an experiance everyone should do. The fishing is brook trout and every trout is special. The numbers are not huge but a trip to the Tobeatic is not about numbers of fish but to me more about where trout live.

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts
I never made this trip, but it's on my "bucket list." When I go, you can rest assured that The Tent Dwellers will accompany me.

Paul

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hi JH
As Perry says a very special place to visit.
Mostly I've been on the Shelburne River and have only gone to lakes connected to it.
Fishing is great - the catching is spotty - great to non existent. The water is pretty acid for trout but they will be there at times. I think they move considerably - its a short run to Rossignol. Once at Sporting Lake in a snow storm trout were everywhere - I always thought about going back but never did.
The best spot for yellow perch that I've encountered - some beauties just below Granite Falls. There is also a big population of White Suckers - once I was at Otter Brook and the brook was black. No doubt at spawning time they would attract a bunch of trout. I suspect the Tent Dwellers caught part of it - guides know a lot!
May fly hatches are limited in the area - there is a good hatch at Cofan Cabin but thats the only place I've seen them. Lots of friendly Black Flies also!
Worth the trip even if you forget the fly rod!
Hope this helps
Paul

·
Registered
106 Posts
access from indian fields is closed to motorized vehicles once you get in to a certain point. Most of the signs have been torn down by others so if your in there an you dont see any, it doesnt mean that you arent in a closed area. I did the trip from spectacle down through to the jordan river 6 mile many years ago. Fishing was very spotty but really good in a few spots. Lots of 8-10 inchers and few larger than 12. Id call dnr in shelburne to get exact info if your going through indian fields. beautiful trip for sure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I fish it from the other side, where the water exits towards the Tusket system. Tons and tons of yellow perch. Lots of bullhead and the few trout if you can figure out where they are hiding. It's a lot of fast or still water. Great canoe routes. Towards the end of April, the bugs become bad, so it's bug jacket fishing for sure. The fishing slows down towards the summer, and picks up slightly in the fall.

The water is pretty dark, and you need to present well. The perch and bullhead are pretty dumb, but the trout have done their homework and really need to be buttered up.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Absolutely wonderful Trout Fishing in some areas for sure! I spent many years fishing the area from Bald Mountain Lake down through to Back Lake. Great Canoe trips(with short portages between lakes) through that area and even better if you have access to the wood road from Upper Ohio to Jordan! Fishing the Clyde River from Hwy 203 down to Briar Hill is another beautiful 2 day canoe trip or from Long Lake down to Briar Hill if you want to do a 1 day trip.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the great info guys, i am planning a canoe trip in there this spring, really looking forward to it. Hoping to do some wildlife viewing as well. I asked this question on the hunting forum as well and a few people said it wasn't much of an area for doing wildlife viewing, too much older forests some said. I figured i would ask here as well though and get some opinions from people who fished it and spent time in there..What sorts of wildlife could one expect to run into if they were in there on a canoe trip? Moose, Bear, coyote, muskrat,rabbit, beaver, raccoon,mink, waterfowl, birds of prey ect.Are there any marten or Fisher around, given the older forests?Just looking for some more info on what i might see when i take a trip in there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
thanks for the great info guys, i am planning a canoe trip in there this spring, really looking forward to it. Hoping to do some wildlife viewing as well. I asked this question on the hunting forum as well and a few people said it wasn't much of an area for doing wildlife viewing, too much older forests some said. I figured i would ask here as well though and get some opinions from people who fished it and spent time in there..What sorts of wildlife could one expect to run into if they were in there on a canoe trip? Moose, Bear, coyote, muskrat,rabbit, beaver, raccoon,mink, waterfowl, birds of prey ect.Are there any marten or Fisher around, given the older forests?Just looking for some more info on what i might see when i take a trip in there.
Your will find all of those. Few bear, deer and coyotes. There are martens/fishers but they are really low key. Some gaint turtles. I'm told Moose. Lots of rabbits and birds. It's well worth it. It's a very different kind of forest than typical NS, but just as interesting.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Your will find all of those. Few bear, deer and coyotes. There are martens/fishers but they are really low key. Some gaint turtles. I'm told Moose. Lots of rabbits and birds. It's well worth it. It's a very different kind of forest than typical NS, but just as interesting.
It is very differant kinds of Forests,I'n some areas of the T wilderness area there are huge Cuttings and Logroads.Heaven forbid that a fella might pass on some of the Dozed rds to drop a canoe in the river....

·
Registered
20 Posts
I still fish the old Tobeatic wildlife management area,lots of trout,always have better luck there then in the tobeatic wilderness area.Funny I can still drive a motorized vehicle in the old area catch more trout see more game and the sound of my truck does not scare all that away strange how some of the tr-- hug---- think. Also I have traveled both areas all my life and my dad who is going on 71 with a bad leg can not venture in without the aid of a motorized vehicle guess thats why I was so opposed to the new areas rules and regs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i wonder if the ice is gone out of the lakes in the tobeatic yet? i cant wait get my boat in the water on friday!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone have knowledge of the roads to access the Shelburne between Rossignol and Sand lakes? I am hopeing to get a pickup in there and cast off for a few days during the hatch in May.

Info please!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts