Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I was out in salt springs fishing in the West river the other weekend and caught a fish which I thought was a nice trout. When I finally fought the fish in after about 10 minutes I took it out of the water and noticed quickly it wasnt a trout. This fish had a nice pinkish redish color to it and it had a plunger looking mouth on it. I know its some kind of bottom feeder but it wasnt as ulgy as those black stinking ones with all the wiskers which are catfish correct me if im wrong. Does anyone know what this one was? Also would it have been good eating?

Thanks, Jake

·
Registered
87 Posts
maybe it was a white sucker, i have heard they can be decent eating but have a lot of small bones. just what i have heard though, i've never tried one myself?

·
Banned
767 Posts
Hi,

The only catfish in N.S. is the Brown Bullhead, but it does not stink, and is delicious if you trouble to clean it. This usually involves skinning it with a pair of pliers. As kids we ate tons of them; and eels, too. Also, catfish are not the only fish with barbels [whiskers], although I don't know what other fish in N.S. have them, except maybe sturgeon.

I don't know what fish you caught, although a sucker [also good eating, but not as good] is a possibility, if it did not have barbels. So is a small sturgeon, if it did.

sturgeon

cheers,

chuck

·
Registered
296 Posts
there are picks in your fishing guide that came with your liscence that shows the species in the back, I recently caught a white sucker as well in Beaverbank lake. live worm on the bottom works for them!

·
Banned
767 Posts
I fish that river quite a bit and my money is on it being a sucker. Fun fish to catch if you can figure out a pattern, but they usually just stick near the bottom in schools. Have seen hundreds of them in schools on The West River.
Hi Dave;

How come the links I add don't come out right? Is there a length limit to the URL's?

cheers,

chuck

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
There are lots of suckers in lots of watercourses in NS, and yes, they are tasty. Regards....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts