Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my wife we get along perfect except when i decide to go fishing, she hates it, she hates when i read about it, watch it on tv and when i go. Ive tried to envolve her, to no success, she thinks its boring when theres no action. Every time i decide to go its a battle. does anyone else have this problem?

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts
I love my wife we get along perfect except when i decide to go fishing, she hates it, she hates when i read about it, watch it on tv and when i go. Ive tried to envolve her, to no success, she thinks its boring when theres no action. Every time i decide to go its a battle. does anyone else have this problem?
My wife is very tolerant of my hobbies as I am of hers. For example, I never criticize her for spending a cold winter afternoon quilting by the fireplace when it would obviously be much more fun sitting on a bucket staring at a 5-inch hole in the ice with a -25 degree windchill

My wife got her fishing license one year and caught a few fish (skunked both Perry and me one morning, as I recall). However, she can take it or leave it and would certainly never contemplate spending more than a couple of hours at a time fishing.

Having said that, I'm glad you started this thread. Since this is "free fishing weekend", I must see if I can drag her out for a couple of hours. Maybe I'll have her give the fly rod a go. I have noticed that fly fishing seems to be more appealing to women than spin fishing...

Tight lines,
Paul

Reactions: pmorris

·
Registered
4 Posts
My wife is very tolerant of my hobbies as I am of hers. For example, I never criticize her for spending a cold winter afternoon quilting by the fireplace when it would obviously be much more fun sitting on a bucket staring at a 5-inch hole in the ice with a -25 degree windchill

My wife got her fishing license one year and caught a few fish (skunked both Perry and me one morning, as I recall). However, she can take it or leave it and would certainly never contemplate spending more than a couple of hours at a time fishing.

Having said that, I'm glad you started this thread. Since this is "free fishing weekend", I must see if I can drag her out for a couple of hours. Maybe I'll have her give the fly rod a go. I have noticed that fly fishing seems to be more appealing to women than spin fishing...

Tight lines,
Paul

·
Registered
4 Posts
My wife says the same,she says your not going fishing again are you???I love her but i look at her and tell her do you remember the Brad Paisley song.The Fishing Song.Im going to miss her hey look at there i got a bite.lol. TIGHT LINES ALL

·
Registered
185 Posts
My FPO (fishing permission officer) is the same dislikes me going. The best method I have found is to buy her alcohol or chocolates the day before I go fishing or get up very early and go before she wakes up.

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts
yeah my wife hated me going fishing too. i sometimes miss her .
Anybody else wondering whether bambam threw pebbles in the water...?

Yabba Dabba Doo!
Paul

·
Registered
32 Posts

Tight lines,
Paul
Free fishing weekend??

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts
Free fishing weekend??
Yes... Dave posted the details in the calendar. I had forgotten about it.

Great opportunity to introduce angling to folks who've never tried or to reintroduce it to folks who haven't tried in awhile. They don't need a license to give it a whirl.

Although kids don't require licenses anyway, it's a great reminder to take a kid fishing, too!

Paul

Reactions: pmorris

·
Registered
8 Posts
my ex-wife was like that---------it's really nice to go fishing with out asking any one if I can go---now the only people that bug me about the amount of fishing I do-are the banks

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Start off slow take her where there is a guarantte of catcatching fish like a stocked lake or a perch hole and keep the first few trips short. Not everyone enjoys fishing for 6 or 8 hrs straight like we do but it is like any addiction it starts off with a little then becomes a whole lot. Remember the tug is the drug

·
Registered
296 Posts
My wife loves me getting out, I think it's her way of getting me out of her hair,She wants to try it so later this afternoon Ima gonna take her to my honey hole so she can catch one for a photo op...lol, she enjoys canoeing so that alone is a plus.She actually asked me if I was going today when she got up.no resistance here.

·
Registered
106 Posts
No problems here at all.Wife has the option to come or stay home.She usually comes and sits in the car and reads a book or takes pictures.When I go she usually helps me pack and get ready if she isn't coming with me.She may not fish all the time but she loves getting out just so we can spend some time together.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If your wife doesn't like outdoor activities, then she's not gonna like fishing. Its as simple as that.

My wife let's me do anything I want, but it took me a while to get her take part in a lot of my activities. She never understood the lure of the outdoor's. I was raised in Rawdon, she was raised in Dartmouth. After a while I got her to go on short walks, that developed into longer walks, and finally I got her to go on an actual hike. (a hike being a ten mile plus venture into the wilderness) She finally got the outdoor bug. I find the more furry creatures they see- the more they like the woods (mice/rats not included)

A couple weeks ago I decided to take a fishing rod with me on a hike (usually I keep hiking and fishing as seperate activities). While hiking I found a nice little dream spot- Right where the Uniacke River meets the start of the Long Stillwater that runs into Bug Indian Lake. I had a bite at least every second cast. The wife patiently waited for me to try fishing while she read her book, waiting for me to wear myself out and then restart our hike. I asked her if she would like to try. (She had never tried before) About three minutes later, she was hooked for life. We bought her her own fishing supplies the next day and she's been out several times already. As for that dream spot at the end of the Uniacke River... In 2 hours I had more than 80 ticks on me. I haven't been back. The wife liked it so much she suggested we get Tyvek suits and brave them anyway- she's a damn fine woman.

The trick is to get them to try in a really good spot first, then the patience will come for the slower spots. Its like a Video Lottery Terminal- its all about anticipation, get 'em on the first go and they're hooked. Cause in the end, holding the fishing pole and all the fish, it's really just an excuse to make yourself go out into the woods and appreciate it. At worst rate- one bite an hour could hold her attention all day.

It only took me a couple tries to get the wife into something new, sometimes she liked it, sometimes not. But if you want her to share your activities, you'll have to get her into something with just the two of you at first. Don't take her out with your fishing buddies the first few times or she'll feel ignored. Treat the activity as something you can share and you'll have better luck, and in time she'll also enjoy going out with the rest of the degenrates you call friends.

And if your wife doesn't enjoy going out fishing, don't force her, just make sure she has as much time doing the things she enjoys as you get to enjoy the things you enjoy and she'll usually be reasonable. Make sure she knows you appreciate her before you leave and she'll give you less hell when you come home (especially if you are willing to spend vast amounts of time talking about it, and by that, I mean discussing what she did while you were fishing) In the end, just be thankful you found a woman who will let you touch her without producing a can a pepperspray.

And after all that, if you have a wife who is totally intolerant of your activities, never shares your interests, and gives you hell all day... maybe she's not the girl for you. I think bambam has already said it best. "yeah my wife hated me going fishing too. i sometimes miss her" That was LMAO funny.

I was thinking that somewhere there was a woman who loved going fishing but couldn't get her husband to go out fishing with her... but then I thought, nahh, its not like she'd be in that situation for too long. There'd be far too many men offering to be her companion and either her husband would have to step up or step out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
greetings all

I have read with much interest this subject .

way way back when I was gone " 90 days out of 90 days" and the mrs
sat me down and explained a few facts lol .. I ,of course, really didnt want to hear it..

However, I ultimately compromised and got to do all the salmon fishing I wanted if I gave
equal time to her and the "chilluns" ..

It worked out fine indeed... oh yes,, a big bouquet of roses each year at the end of the salmon season with a card of gratitude went a long way to cementing the relationship for the
coming cold winter months ..

and of course we did lots of other things together as a family as well .. I think that is the key ..

this is not to imply Upstream Nymphing that you arent doing your best
respectfully submitted

jim seager

·
Registered
58 Posts
my wife gets mad when i dont take her or when i wanna go home she rarely is on the same page... i love having a girl that likes fishing as much as i do..

·
457 Posts
the trick is to get on her nerves enough that if your around the house to long
she say don't you need to go fishing or something

its been working for me for years
just don't over do it and end up with all your stuff on the lawn when your get back

·
Registered
44 Posts
Does your wife know how to cast a fly rod? If not, maybe you can get her to take a fly casting class? By your member name I can guess you already know how, but I will suggest that you might not want to be the one doing the teaching! I have heard good things about the Atlantic Fly Fishing School (no, I don't have any affiliation with them). If you can get her interested in casting, then maybe she will not be bored when there is no action?

J.B.

Edit: Here is a link: http://www.flyschool.net/ . Also there is that women outdoors program (http://www.gov.ns.ca/natr/outdoor/). I hope you will find some way to win her over to the sport.

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts
I have heard good things about the Atlantic Fly Fishing School
I attended the school and it was excellent. There was a 50/50 gender split, and pictures of other classes suggest that it's not unusual to have a good mix.

Verlie Grant (Dennis' wife) is an excellent instructor and they consciously split up the couples so the husbands weren't with their wives unless they insisted otherwise.

Paul

1 - 20 of 20 Posts