Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FYI....Went out with Capt Art yesterday on the new boat, 42' "Black Pearl" (Blue Shark Charters, Eastern Passage 830-4115) Got two females, not huge, but very scrappy!!! This is the earliest he has ever caught shark!!! Regards..............

Reactions: Shimanoman

·
Registered
18 Posts
What roughly would the cost be for an afternoon of shark fishing?. Does anyone have any idea`s?

·
Registered
29 Posts
FYI....Went out with Capt Art yesterday on the new boat, 42' "Black Pearl" (Blue Shark Charters, Eastern Passage 830-4115) Got two females, not huge, but very scrappy!!! This is the earliest he has ever caught shark!!! Regards..............
Cool, thanks for the FYI Tip....a bunch of us are set for a date in July, good to see action happening, any ground fishing action while chumming?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check the website for prices (blueshark charters.com) For shark fishing, you charter the boat for all day (he is licensed to carry you and up to 9 of your best friends and two crew) It would not worthwhile for you to only go for an afternoon because it takes awhile to set up a drift and a chum slick that will bring the shark to the boat. If you want to go for an afternoon fish, I would suggest you go for groundfish. He has an hourly rate for that.
It's a whole lot easier to share the cost amongst the group. Regards...

Reactions: Shimanoman

·
Registered
575 Posts
What roughly would the cost be for an afternoon of shark fishing?. Does anyone have any idea`s?
From what I've seen of different sites, it's around $1500 for the boat for the day. They will take 10 people so that's rougly $150 each, for like an 8 or 9 hour day?

·
Banned
613 Posts
Blue sharks are in our waters year round, but there numbers do increase when the waters warm close to the coast. Now, that being said, there is a vertually untapped Porbeagle shark sportfishery in the fall, winter, and spring months. Porbegals like the cooler water, and normaly head to deeper water in the summer months when the water warms up. I was all set to start fishing them this spring, but the DFO had delayed issuing the permits because of a change in the conditions to include manditory reporting of your catches. I did finally recieve my recreational shark permit a few weeks ago, but I have been too busy lately to go fishing for them!!!!!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Went out again with Art yesterday, got 3, all tagged & reported, largest 68" (fork length). The Porbeagle fishery does exist but, in the past, it has been raped, (twice)almost to extinction by inviting the Faeroe Islanders. It has slowly recovered (Twice) and now is regulated(hopefully managed). Although Porbeagles are here year round, I think that Dr. Campagna of BIO may very well disagree with the statement that Blue Shark spend their winters in our waters. Regards.....

·
Banned
613 Posts
Went out again with Art yesterday, got 3, all tagged & reported, largest 68" (fork length). The Porbeagle fishery does exist but, in the past, it has been raped, (twice)almost to extinction by inviting the Faeroe Islanders. It has slowly recovered (Twice) and now is regulated(hopefully managed). Although Porbeagles are here year round, I think that Dr. Campagna of BIO may very well disagree with the statement that Blue Shark spend their winters in our waters. Regards.....
I am pretty sure what Steve Campagna would tell you is that there is no way to accurately estimate the winter blue shark populations in NS waters, because most, if not all the data they use to estimate the blue shark populations is derived from bycatch data from other dedicated commercial fisheries. And there are no dedicated pelagic winter fisheries in our waters, so that will equate into NO DATA to accurately estimate a population status in the winter!!!!

http://marinebiodiversity.ca/shark/english/skull2.htm

·
Registered
57 Posts
Blue sharks are in our waters year round, but there numbers do increase when the waters warm close to the coast. Now, that being said, there is a vertually untapped Porbeagle shark sportfishery in the fall, winter, and spring months. Porbegals like the cooler water, and normaly head to deeper water in the summer months when the water warms up. I was all set to start fishing them this spring, but the DFO had delayed issuing the permits because of a change in the conditions to include manditory reporting of your catches. I did finally recieve my recreational shark permit a few weeks ago, but I have been too busy lately to go fishing for them!!!!!

I'm not gonna lie... that pic sorta sent a shiver down my spine man. @#!*

Alex

·
Admin
551 Posts
Some of my most memorable fishing has been while shark fishing with Captain Art of Blue Shark Charters, no question about that. It's great to see how he brings both the scientific and conservational approach to the shark fishing. A very educational and fun day on the water for anyone who likes to fish and if you want a true challenge, fly fishing is also possible sometimes

·
Registered
210 Posts
Some of my most memorable fishing has been while shark fishing with Captain Art of Blue Shark Charters, no question about that. It's great to see how he brings both the scientific and conservational approach to the shark fishing. A very educational and fun day on the water for anyone who likes to fish and if you want a true challenge, fly fishing is also possible sometimes
I'll second that! I've only spent one day on Art's boat, and had no sharks to show for it, but the company and conversation was amazing. I learned more about sharks in that one trip than I'd ever learn watching "Shark Week" 24/7.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts