Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would really like to catch a large cod from my kayak, I have caught plenty of small ones on feathers but i cannot seem to track down the larger fish. I have had fish over 10lb in the UK and thought Nova Scotia would easily be as good. My bait of choice is squid.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Was out last weekend in the kayak getting pretty big Cod on a 4oz Cod Jig attached to the bottom of mackerel feathers.

Also have pulled good size cod up with Plastics on a Jig. Usually in 30'-50' of water.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Transient, we were catching those out Prospect way. Didn't seem to be any shortage of them, or decent size polluck.
Super pretty fish
I would be excited to catch such a pretty fish man!! Im gonna have to give that a go!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Super pretty fish
I would be excited to catch such a pretty fish man!! Im gonna have to give that a go!
Yeah if any of you guys want to come down to Prospect and launch with us we go out most weekends and just found a really great cod spot last weekend, also pollock, mackerel and some huge nasty sculpin from there.

As for bait we almost always use what bucket said, jig heads with gulp soft plastics or feather and a cod jig. That cod in the picture was on the 6oz jig but the 3 feather on the line each had a large pollock as well. Very nearly pulled my arm off and put quite a large bend in a very stiff boat rod. I know that mackerel and peeler crabs work quite well for cod bait as well, but getting crabs is a bit of a pain. Bucket also had luck with some clams as well that we had for flounder, but the cod seem to like them as well.

·
Registered
62 Posts
what is the chop like out there?
still a relative noob to kayaking...
Ive got mega jigs in that size range and I havent been able to use them in a couple years living in Ontario
So this would be super fun man. I am up for a day trip soon. These cods look real nice compared to the nasty looking pacific cods I catch out west. They are ripe for nice photos with that red color!! Man that looks like good times for sure.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can make it this weekend, let me know when and were and I'll be there. I use carp rods for my kayak fishing, they are designed for catching carp upto 40lb but they won't handle much over a 2oz weight. where can I get hold of cod jigs of 2oz, or maybe I'll need a slightly stiffer rod?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I can make it this weekend, let me know when and were and I'll be there. I use carp rods for my kayak fishing, they are designed for catching carp upto 40lb but they won't handle much over a 2oz weight. where can I get hold of cod jigs of 2oz, or maybe I'll need a slightly stiffer rod?
Id just ignore the rating and use a heavier jig anyway. I'm using a very stout boat rod now but for a long time I used 4-6oz jigs and sinkers on way way lighter rods and it worked it just wasn't ideal. If you just want a stout rod for the kayak they have the Rapala RSC boat rods for pretty cheap at fishing fever.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Id just ignore the rating and use a heavier jig anyway. I'm using a very stout boat rod now but for a long time I used 4-6oz jigs and sinkers on way way lighter rods and it worked it just wasn't ideal. If you just want a stout rod for the kayak they have the Rapala RSC boat rods for pretty cheap at fishing fever.
How much do they sell for? I need a rod that will handle a striper of atleast 30lbs cos thats what I have promised myself this year haha.

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
If you're a cheap bugger like me go check out Wal-mart. I bought a 7 foot rod good for 25 pound test line and a 3 ounce weight. I think I paid about $25 for it. It's kind of like a tree trunk with eyes, but it seems decent enough for me right now. I'll let you know how it works out when I finally catch something on it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
do you guys usually launch at the marina on prospect road?I'd also like to hook up with ya'll some weekend!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts