Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I caught several bass today that were tagged with a number and either "WOLFVILLE" or "ACADIA" i was wondering who is collecting this information. All fish were recorded and measured and released alive, if anyone has info it would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
212 Posts
I caught several bass today that were tagged with a number and either "WOLFVILLE" or "ACADIA" i was wondering who is collecting this information. All fish were recorded and measured and released alive, if anyone has info it would be appreciated.

Thanks
Please post Tag number, colour, location caught. Jeremy Bloome will collect this data. We tagged about 100 fish this spring while implanted 43 with transmitters to track movement. There would be a scar on the belly.

thx
Owen
IBVFD

·
Registered
2 Posts
Found just a tag in Chevrie today... Now reading more, It was one of these tags. I threw it in the woods thinkin it was just a garbage old salmon tag. Will try to find over the weekend. It didnt break off because the loop was not broken.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey Guys,

Sorry I am just seeing this thread now! Tyler thanks for making the effort to pass along this info. And thanks to all the familiar names that have helped to point him in the right direction. My striped bass tagging study at Acadia University is still ongoing and we rely very much on anglers to report the tags they catch back to us.

As Owen has said above - please record the tag number (all tags start with the letter J - followed by 4 digits i.e J1234), the date, time, and location caught, and the length if possible. Be aware that the tags also have an address and postal code (B4P 2R6) on them which is not the actual tag number.

If you catch a tagged fish please do the following:

1) Record: a) tag number (J 1 2 3 4 ), b)location, c) date, d) time

2) If releasing the fish please leave tag attached.

3) Forward tag details by posting in this thread or by the contact information below:

We have also been surgically implanting stripers with acoustic telelmetry transmiiters in addition to our regular blue spaghetti tagging. We have tagged fish of all sizes - in both the Stewiacke river this spring, and in the Minas Basin throughout the summer. These tags are internal and the only thing that is visible is a small scar/stitches on the belly of the fish. If you should catch one of these please let me know, and as the tags are valuable and are providing a great deal of information to our study, it would be great if all fish with transmitters could be released. Please keep on the lookout for these fish!

If you run into any of these marked fish please let me know through any of the contact info below:

Acadia Biology Department
c/o Jeremy Broome
Box 111 Acadia University
Wolfville, NS B4P 2R6
-or-
[email protected]
-or-
902-680-6061(Leave Message)

Your assistance is greatly appreciated. Happy fishing and tight lines!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Is there a representative for the Wolfville fish, or is this all the same study just a different tagging locations?
Hi Tyler - I am the representative for all the fish with Blue Acadia University tags. We have tagged fish at several sites around the Minas Basin, however our home base is in Wolfville and most fish have been tagged at the Guzzle and other areas around Grand Pre. Also, if you happen to encounter any yellow DFO tags you can pass that information along to me and I can forward it to the proper person.

All information on tag returns can be sent to me through any of the contacts listed in the meassage above.

Thanks,
Jeremy

·
Registered
3 Posts
hello i have been fishing in the minas basin and have been catching lots of bass with tags, only caught one that wasnt able to make it back. so i only have this one tag. one fish i caught said viringa and it was a 30".

but the tag i have here is: yellow, dartmouth nova scotia, b2y 4a2, DFO box 1006, S 06659.

i hope this can be a help! and is there anyways of seeing this reserch, meaning where and how long this fish has been alive. i will record every tag now that i know this.

thanks jason

·
Registered
48 Posts
[quote name='moorejason' date='11 June 2011 - 12:44 PM' timestamp='1307810688' post='20232']
hello i have been fishing in the minas basin and have been catching lots of bass with tags, only caught one that wasnt able to make it back. so i only have this one tag. one fish i caught said viringa and it was a 30".

but the tag i have here is: yellow, dartmouth nova scotia, b2y 4a2, DFO box 1006, S 06659.

i hope this can be a help! and is there anyways of seeing this reserch, meaning where and how long this fish has been alive. i will record every tag now that i know this.

thanks jason

That yellow tag was most likely put in a year or so ago by DFO Biologist ROd Bradford in the spring when the bass are in shubie/stewiacke.How big was the fish?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi Jason,

Thanks for taking the time to get me this information. The yellow tag you caught was first tagged back on July 7th 2008 at the Guzzle. Do you remember the date you caught the fish with the yellow tag?

And yes, it would be great if you would write down the information from the tags you catch in the future. Most of the tags I have put out are blue and have a 5 digit code all starting with the letter J and then 4 numbers (ex J1234). Please record the tag number, the date and location caught, and if you can get a quick length measurement that is good too. You can forward along information on any tags that you might find, like the red Virginia one, and I can try to find the right contact person on your behalf.

You can contact me with tag information via the NSF website (jballs) or through contact details below.

Mail: Acadia Centre for Estuarine Research
c/o Jeremy Broome
Box 115 Acadia University
Wolfville, NS B4P 2R6
-or-
[email protected]
-or-

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi Jason,

Thanks for taking the time to get me this information. The yellow tag you caught was first tagged back on July 7th 2008 at the Guzzle. Do you remember the date you caught the fish with the yellow tag?

And yes, it would be great if you would write down the information from the tags you catch in the future. Most of the tags I have put out are blue and have a 5 digit code all starting with the letter J and then 4 numbers (ex J1234). Please record the tag number, the date and location caught, and if you can get a quick length measurement that is good too. You can forward along information on any tags that you might find, like the red Virginia one, and I can try to find the right contact person on your behalf.

You can contact me with tag information via the NSF website (jballs) or through contact details below.

Mail: Acadia Centre for Estuarine Research
c/o Jeremy Broome
Box 115 Acadia University
Wolfville, NS B4P 2R6
-or-
[email protected]
-or-

·
Registered
35 Posts
also - thanks to all the others that helped direct Jason to my info. Keep those tags returns coming! Some of the tags have now been out for 3 years and many are getting covered in algae and slime, usually it can be rubbed off fairly easily. Thanks again to all those that are continuing to send information, it is very much appreciated!
-Jeremy

·
Registered
182 Posts
That information should be left private , as any lurkers can call up and say they caught these fish from anywheres . Then the data would be useless IMOP .

·
Registered
146 Posts
Caught one with blue tag in Blue Beach (Hantsport?) around 9:30 AM yesterday morning (July 10th) with the following info:

Acadia Biology J0853

Wolfville NS B4P 2R6

Size is around 18 to 19 inches...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts