Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Unless someone is running a home-based business out of their garage or basement, to my knowledge , the only tackle specific store in the Hfx-Dart-Bed area is Fishing Fever. (There is HiLiner in Bayers Lake but their market is primarily commercial Salt Water) With competition from Wally World, Cdn Tire, and assorted other hardware stores, I would think that there is really room for only one store of its type and they are the one!!!....Regards...

Reactions: Shimanoman

·
Registered
296 Posts
this one is a little out of the way in Stewiacke
Hnatiuk's Hunting and Fishing Ltd, mostly hunting gear but have some nice rods,reels and tackle
1111 Highway #2, Lantz, NS
B2S 1M9
http://www.hnatiuks.com/

·
Administrator
913 Posts
hopefully soon a Bass Pro Shops might pop into Halifax or Moncton
As great as that would be I don't think it will ever happen. Any BPS would have a huge overhead operating cost and personally i don't think this area (Atlantic Provinces) has the population of sport fishing people to make it profitable. I was in the Bass Pro Shops in Ont. last Sept and was amazed at the size of it and the selection available. If they didnt have 1000 fishing rods on display they never had 1. lol What was even more amazing was the fact that I only spent about 80 bucks while there.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
We don't, in Atlantic Canada, even have a city with a million people in it much less, like Toronto or Montreal, a catchment area of approx. 8 million people. Having visited 2 BPS stores over the years, the last one, north of Toronto when they opened it, I can vouch for the "drool factor" once you have entered their "hallowed" ground...Regards...

·
Registered
136 Posts
As great as that would be I don't think it will ever happen. Any BPS would have a huge overhead operating cost and personally i don't think this area (Atlantic Provinces) has the population of sport fishing people to make it profitable. I was in the Bass Pro Shops in Ont. last Sept and was amazed at the size of it and the selection available. If they didnt have 1000 fishing rods on display they never had 1. lol What was even more amazing was the fact that I only spent about 80 bucks while there.
They also sell hunting and camping supplys. I think it wouldnt be such a bad idea and you could make money from it even in Nova Scotia. And for the overhead costs arent that high. The stores in the states are HUGE and bigger then the ones in Canada.

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts
They also sell hunting and camping supplys. I think it wouldnt be such a bad idea and you could make money from it even in Nova Scotia. And for the overhead costs arent that high. The stores in the states are HUGE and bigger then the ones in Canada.
I hope to visit their new Alberta store this summer. I've been to the Orlando BPS a few times and it's enormous. It's a heck of a business model when the store is so big that your customers have to buy GPS receivers to find their way out.

Sadly, I can't imagine them ever coming to the Atlantic Provinces. Wikipedia indicates that their store size varies from 42,000 square feet to 300,000 square feet. At $250 of annual sales per square foot (a typical retail average), they'd be looking for $10.5 million to $75 million in potential revenue before they'd consider opening a store. I can't imagine that our small population could support those figures.

Paul

Reactions: pmorris

·
Registered
136 Posts
I hope to visit their new Alberta store this summer. I've been to the Orlando BPS a few times and it's enormous. It's a heck of a business model when the store is so big that your customers have to buy GPS receivers to find their way out.

Sadly, I can't imagine them ever coming to the Atlantic Provinces. Wikipedia indicates that their store size varies from 42,000 square feet to 300,000 square feet. At $250 of annual sales per square foot (a typical retail average), they'd be looking for $10.5 million to $75 million in potential revenue before they'd consider opening a store. I can't imagine that our small population could support those figures.

Paul
Are you talking about the one just outside Calgary? Its huge too but more focused on the hunting side of things but they still have the insanely huge fish tank in it with all the trout and salmon etc...

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts
Are you talking about the one just outside Calgary? Its huge too but more focused on the hunting side of things but they still have the insanely huge fish tank in it with all the trout and salmon etc...
Yes, in Rocky View I think.

Paul

Reactions: pmorris

·
Registered
161 Posts
There is a small hunting and fishing store on the #7 highway (main street) somewhere past lake loon but before lake major road, it's on the left, sorry i can't be of more help, but i never before bothered to look at the street signs.

·
Registered
749 Posts
There is a small hunting and fishing store on the #7 highway (main street) somewhere past lake loon but before lake major road, it's on the left, sorry i can't be of more help, but i never before bothered to look at the street signs.
where is lovetts on main?

·
Registered
296 Posts
corner of no7 and Riley Rd past the set of lights by Montague Rd (Lake Loon) on your left just past the garden center

925 Main St
Dartmouth, NS B2W 3V2

(902) 434-6988

·
Registered
546 Posts
There is a store just off the #3, on the Halifax side of the bridge that goes over Gold River, between Gold River and Chester Basin. It has everything from a deli to fishing and hunting gear. Locally made flys and some interesting stuff you don't find at wal mart or Ctire. It is worth a look if you are in the area.

James

·
Registered
203 Posts
isnt there a Cabela`s in Maine? or a BPS?
if i remember correctly there is.

i went to the BPS in LasVegas, almost brought me to tears.
Yes, I believe there is a Cabella's in Maine. Go to their site and request a catalog to be mailed. They have a lot of interesting gear. I especially like their saltwater fishing gear catalog that they had last year. Not sure if they have the same one this year.

·
Registered
1 Posts
just a short trip to bridgewater puts you in two of the best fishing retailers in the province Gows home hardware and across the river Veinots both will help to blow the weekly allowance and that little extra every bass fisher carries just incase

·
Registered
842 Posts
You are referirng to Lovettes Store..not much there anymore,,they sell worms :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts