Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard that a lot of surf fishermen use these surf bags to carry plugs, etc. in. Sounds like a great idea. I have an insulated bag that I carry tackle in but I like the idea of having a dedicated bag for fishing in the surf with easy access. Does anyone on the site use one? I'm looking for a recommendation that I can use here in NS and hopefuly overseas in England and Ghana.

PS: Not sure if this post belongs here.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
JHG, I have a couple which are brand name and they can run, in price ,from the sublime to the ridiculous. Actually, you can modify anything for carrying your surf gear once you have figured out what you want to take with you on these fishy forays. I have seen very useful, & sensible "gear bags" made out of modified, empty 5 gallon plastic paint buckets. The gear, or bait goes in the bucket,as well as in fabric (canvas)pouches around the outside, the lid goes on, you get to where you want to be, take the gear/bait out that you need, put the lid on and voila! you now have a seat as well....regards...

Reactions: JHG

·
Registered
44 Posts
I used to fish the surf in Montauk (it was a long time ago). We used canvas shoulder bags (like a messenger bag) to carry plugs. To keep the hooks from getting tangled, or snagged in the fabric, you cut up some PVC pipe into lengths about the length of a plug and put some foam at one end. The plugs go in these tubes. The PVC pipe that is used for central vac systems is best because it has thinner walls and is lighter. You can use zip ties, or something else, to keep them together and upright in the bag. You can buy this sort of thing from a catalog, but I think you might be able to make it for less; especially if you already have a suitable shoulder bag.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I used to fish the surf in Montauk (it was a long time ago). We used canvas shoulder bags (like a messenger bag) to carry plugs. To keep the hooks from getting tangled, or snagged in the fabric, you cut up some PVC pipe into lengths about the length of a plug and put some foam at one end. The plugs go in these tubes. The PVC pipe that is used for central vac systems is best because it has thinner walls and is lighter. You can use zip ties, or something else, to keep them together and upright in the bag. You can buy this sort of thing from a catalog, but I think you might be able to make it for less; especially if you already have a suitable shoulder bag.
have you though about plano boxes for your plugs and tackle, and even plano bag to hold the boxes you fill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts