Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if it is possible to fish for sturgeon in Nova Scotia, or if they are even in our waters. I have found no mention in any forums or internet. If they are here are you aloud to fish for them?

·
Banned
767 Posts
Does anyone know if it is possible to fish for sturgeon in Nova Scotia, or if they are even in our waters. I have found no mention in any forums or internet. If they are here are you aloud to fish for them?
Hi;

I know that there are sturgeon in the Shuby system--I've seen them, but not caught any.
What the regs are, I couldn't say. They are much too rare for me to target them.

cheers,

chuck

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
ppaauull0;
If u go to General Fishing Questions,look at the thread titled "one if every specie" I may have hooked one by accident about 20 years ago - never saw it, it just swam slowly away until it spooled me then, ping!! line snapped at the arbor knot.(125 yd of 10lb Berkley Photochromic) Regards....

·
Registered
16 Posts
ppaauull0;
If u go to General Fishing Questions,look at the thread titled "one if every specie" I may have hooked one by accident about 20 years ago - never saw it, it just swam slowly away until it spooled me then, ping!! line snapped at the arbor knot.(125 yd of 10lb Berkley Photochromic) Regards....
there are lots of sturgen here in walton as russ used to get dozens in his wier every tide as for fishing them with line i know of no one that fishes them or if your permitted to do so i do know that it is illegal to keep them as they are considered the Queens fish ,,,Cheers Don

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Striperdon;
I don't believe that the "Royal Fish" designation exists in Canada. The Sturgeon is protected in Great Britain and some years ago a chap in Wales caught one. He offered it to the monarch(as required), and she declined and told him to "dispose of it in any manner he saw fit". This caused great discussion amongst conservation groups!! I think the Lord Mayor of London is also entitled to sturgeon caught above London Bridge on the Thames. Another Ancient British law. Sturgeon, because of their numbers in the Fraser River in BC are protected and allowed to be caught but must be released. There is a fragile population in freshwater of Nova Scotia. Regards....

·
Registered
195 Posts
I don't think there is a catch and keep fishery for sturgeon anywhere in Canada. I pretty sure BC is c&r for the province and I know here in Alberta it's c&r as well.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I was lucky enough to actually hook and land one I would release it, no question, I know they can be worth alot of money but they are also very rare and need to be protected, just as the striped bass needs to be protected against over fishing as well

·
Registered
186 Posts
i have a newspaper artical from about 8 years ago when a child found one in there back yard that had died and floated ashore in the northend of grand lake (around turtle cove). we had this conversation about a year ago on this site and im pretty sure someone found a link to a government site that listed fish that are not aloud to be targeted in this province and sturgeon was one of them. im also pretty sure that we have 2 or 3 different sub spieces of this fish liveing in our freash and salt waters. Also the saint john river has a fantastic fishery for them and they used to have a tournment in the fall every year for them. i beleive it is all catch and release

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not too sure but I think Grand Lake ( Hfx Co. west of #2 Hwy ) may have Sturgeon...
A call to NS Inland Fisheries may shed some light on catch/relaease, and habitat.

Regards,

Tom

·
Registered
62 Posts
There are a few different species of sturgeon. In BC, the fraser has White Sturgeon which are only C&R in the lower streches and in the upper river they arent allowing targeted fishing. You use skeen sacks with huge weights and hover or anchor over large cuts in the river. Im new to NS and I am interested in fishing Walton and the river mouth with my kayak. I live in Coldbrook now and Im wondering what I should expect in that area? Is it a multi species area? I read there are striped bass there. Is there anything else. What about dogfish or other predatory fish? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
sunbeam;
There is a fragile population of sturgeon in the freshwaters of Nova Scotia. This would also include Grand Lake. I think we all would agree that to target them would be irresponsible in the extreme. Regards.....

·
Registered
210 Posts
What about dogfish or other predatory fish? Any help would be appreciated.
If you are referring to the saltwater species known as dogfish (a variety of shark), yes you will find them in Nova Scotia. Being sharks, I do believe there are specific regulations regarding their pursuit, including C&R restrictions and licensing.

If you are referring to the freshwater "dogfish," or bowfin, I don't believe I've ever heard of them in Nova Scotia, although there's plenty of species there that I'm not familiar with.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you are referring to the saltwater species known as dogfish (a variety of shark), yes you will find them in Nova Scotia. Being sharks, I do believe there are specific regulations regarding their pursuit, including C&R restrictions and licensing.

If you are referring to the freshwater "dogfish," or bowfin, I don't believe I've ever heard of them in Nova Scotia, although there's plenty of species there that I'm not familiar with.
I was thinking about the shark variety. I cant catch a bowfin if I tried even where they lived in population. lol. I tried. haha. But I have caught a bunch of dogfish shark on the other coast and I was thinking that even without having a clue of where to begin fishing the bay of fundy off my kayak I would still have a shot at a dogfish
Any tips on easy game for a kayak angler that isnt scared of big tides and big fish from his little plastic piece of tubberware? Id take any tidbits of info on species I could grab out here. Thanks dude!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was thinking about the shark variety. I cant catch a bowfin if I tried even where they lived in population. lol. I tried. haha. But I have caught a bunch of dogfish shark on the other coast and I was thinking that even without having a clue of where to begin fishing the bay of fundy off my kayak I would still have a shot at a dogfish
Any tips on easy game for a kayak angler that isnt scared of big tides and big fish from his little plastic piece of tubberware? Id take any tidbits of info on species I could grab out here. Thanks dude!
Hi Jeff, stripers are the main fish in the Minus Basin but there are also Dogfish ( we called this variety Spurdog in the UK because they have very nasty spikes on the dorsel fin) rays or skate, flounder and tommy cod. These are the species that I have caught but there are prbably lots more. As soon as your kayak arrives give me a bell and we'll go out.
Paul

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was lucky enough to accidentaly hook a sturgeon off of old orchard beach maine, though it was foul hooked, I still managed to land and release it with very little harm done to the fish. it was 48lbs and 52inches. whatta fish that was.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I sincerely hope that they met with little success. Regards....

·
Registered
319 Posts
Apparently fishing for Sturgeon is allowed.
Found this at: http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/SOR-93-55/page-10.html#anchorbo-ga:l_XV

PART XV
STURGEON
Gear Restrictions
94. No person shall fish for sturgeon except by angling or with a gill net.
Close Times
95. No person shall fish for sturgeon in the waters set out in column I of an item of the table to this section by a method set out in column II of that item during the close time set out in column III of that item.
TABLE

Column I Column II Column III
Item Waters Method Close Time
1. Inland and tidal waters of Nova Scotia.
(1)Angling (1)June 1 to June 30
(2)Gill nets (2)June 1 to June 30

Mesh Size
96. No person shall fish for sturgeon with a gill net that has a mesh size of less than 330 mm.
Length Restriction
97. No person shall catch and retain or possess any sturgeon that is less than 120 cm in length.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Hi Jeff, stripers are the main fish in the Minus Basin but there are also Dogfish ( we called this variety Spurdog in the UK because they have very nasty spikes on the dorsel fin) rays or skate, flounder and tommy cod. These are the species that I have caught but there are prbably lots more. As soon as your kayak arrives give me a bell and we'll go out.
Paul
Good day all
Just thought I would comment on a couple things in this thread, first there are far more Fish species then Bass within the Minas Basin. It certainly is there, however I think bigger in popularity might be the Flounder, there are also many Sharks, mostly Dogfish, but others as well, Shad, Gaspereau, certain areas have Mackeral, there are Skate, Smelt in the spring, Herring and a good quantity of Sturgeon, (Not fresh water sturgeon) They have been accidently caught in nets here over the years running well over 100lbs.
And last and likely not least is the inner Bay of Fundy Salmon.(Endangered) Amazing to sit and watch them jump on the head of the incoming tide in the Avon River. I accidentally caught one this year, while Gaspereau fishing.(net) It was a huge slink at about 2 and a half feet long. It was released totally unharmed.(not tagged)
So in conclusion the Bay (basin) is quite alive with many species and the Ancient Sturgeon as well.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts