Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi;

I see where there is a striper tournament on for Sept.11 down in Bear River.

Bear River Striped Bass Tournament

Sept 11/10

Registration at the Bear River Legion @ 8:00 am

Registration is $25. per person

Includes

* 1 ticket on a fish finder
* 50/50 draw
* scallop bar-b-que

Contact
Duff Wilson 902-638-3438
Fred Miller 247-0789
Last year's winner was Sue Comeau.

If anyone is interested. Bear River is a beautiful place just to visit.

cheers,

chuck

·
Admin
551 Posts
I will personally not be supporting this event, as the only way to weigh in a striper in an event such as this is to kill it, so it is quite likely this event could result in numerous dead fish and potentially, limit violations. I hope DFO is keeping a close eye on things.

Though there seem to be good numbers of stripers in our waters, I believe they are ultimately in danger due to excessive abuse of the fishery.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Banned
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will personally not be supporting this event, as the only way to weigh in a striper in an event such as this is to kill it, so it is quite likely this event could result in numerous dead fish and potentially, limit violations. I hope DFO is keeping a close eye on things.

Though there seem to be good numbers of stripers in our waters, I believe they are ultimately in danger due to excessive abuse of the fishery.

Just my 2 cents.
Hi Dave;

I agree with you completely. In fact, I posted mostly to see how striper tournaments, and this one in particular, stand with DFO. I know nothing about it, but stripers are certainly one more fish, like bluefin, sharks, and salmon, for which I would not encourage tournament fishing. I do not think that there is any way that anyone can guarantee successful live release, over the following period of days, for any of these species.

Thanks for the feedback.

regards,

chuck

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm with Dave and Chuck. Borrowing from MasterCard:

A BBQ Meal - $12
A FishFinder - $180
A 50:50 winner - maybe $200

A mature striper - priceless.

(Does this mean I'll have to put back my first keeper?)

As for tournaments - fishing is fishing is fishing - does it also have to be made into a contest?

Cheers - Miles

·
Registered
102 Posts
I heard it advertized on the local radio this morning. I didn't know it was not catch and release though. I definately will not be attending.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I was down in Annapolis Royal this last weekend and drove by Bear River. The locals said that last year only 1 fish was big enough to be weighed. I thought about fishing but not in the tournament and did not know the structure well enough so sat back and enjoyed the scenery. My dad was with me from the west coast and we decided to head up to Rumsey Lake to trout fish as it is stocked with Rainbows but the wind was blowing a gale and the lake was unfishable with a light weight fly rod. We did get some amazing fishing in though which I will recount under Bay of Fundy thread.

Cheers,
James

1 - 6 of 6 Posts