Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas, just had a quick question here, im going out on a limb this year and trying to add a little more...pizzaz to fishing for stripped bass. I am Rockin a decent pole with quite a bit of whip and a small trout reel ( the reel is the one i use to fish brooke trout where i have too much trouble with the fly ) Now the reel claims to be able to hold 175 yards of 6 pound test line, but im not silly so i ramped er up to 20 pound test line and filled er to the locks, i am not sure how much line is on the reel now tho and i dont want to take all the line out and measure exactly how much fishing line i put in the reel with a measuring tape haha, so does anybody know approxomatly how much 20 pound test line will be held comfortably by a reel that is made to hold 175 yards of 6 pound? Now before all you comment and rip on me for being a little crazy, i have fished them before and i know what i am getting myself into haha and i do not need a bunch of people telling me that i am doing things wrong by overloading a small reel like i am haha, i am aware that i am really putting alot of stress and the little reel and its designed for lighter line, i just want an answer to my question hahah. Thanks everybody! Best of luck to ya!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Im not sure how long that is, but I think its sketchy depending on how good your drag is and how good you are with your drag. I would reccommend using braided line, you can fit alot more on and not compromise anything.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
connor, Good luck, I hope you don't destroy your reel(drag) when you hook a big'un and can't turn it. Regards...

·
Registered
806 Posts
Connor- I know u don't wanna hear it but you need a bigger reel. That set up is a recipe for disaster. Shimano carry them for a good price. Load it with 10 or 12 lb mono and you are laughing. 20 lb line doens't get down like thinner line and will compromise lure action.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks fellas, did a little testing and looks like i may up the reel size here before they start comin up the rivers haha, doesent look like much line in that small rod, didnt think i would get any responses here but thanks alot to everbody who did!

·
Registered
41 Posts
connor obrien, it is pushing that reel...but i've been there and done that...and there are options. first, you probabaley have about 45-60yrd of 20# on it, maximum of 90yrd i think. i've used reels like that because i have 2 bad arms and have to change how i'm fishing all the time, so i'll use a smaller set up on a 6 to 6 1/2' ugly stick, either from a dock or from my kayak. when i first started doing this i couldn't find a high capacity reel to fit the mount for the ugly sticks, so i was using alpha's and a few other reels. the alpha's are not great reels and last about one season - not really up for stripers but i've landed well over 100 using them. as i said, there are a few options. this first is down size a bit and use 17# test - not much of a drop in weight, a big drop in size of line depending on manufacture. i'll be honest and let you know i have done this but these days i just accept the shorter line and go with 20-25#.

another solution is a "hot shot". this is made by using braid for backing (50-60# or better for stripers) and then adding on 10 to 30yrds of mono or copolamar (up to 250yrds on bigger reels). this gives you the best of both worlds and is often used by striper guides off the carolinas.

this leaves you with what is effectively an ultra light set up for stripers. as i mentioned, i use this mostly from my kayak and from docks, it's a little bit trickier for shore fishing but if you fish at night the stripers can be as little as a foot from shore, so you only need any amount of line to fight them.

now for the only other reel (lol!) problem : not over casting! it's very easy to cast to the end of the line with striper lures, especialy storms/swim baits, using this size reel. this means your knot to the reel has to be good, very good. i suggest using a slip knot and then crazy glueing the knot after trimming.

i hope this helps.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dude thank you so much ipop! haha that was the best answer i could have gotten plus some! i really do appretiate that sir, i will most deffinitly be taking that into the utmost consideration this week when topping off my gear!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts