Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to try to go out for some stripers this year and I've never done it.
Anyone want to give me a basic run-down on what to use? where to go etc. (what time of year, what rivers/part of the province, I'm in halifax but have some options for traveling a bit.....any info at all would be great.)

Thanks gang

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'd like to try to go out for some stripers this year and I've never done it.
Anyone want to give me a basic run-down on what to use? where to go etc. (what time of year, what rivers/part of the province, I'm in halifax but have some options for traveling a bit.....any info at all would be great.)

Thanks gang
Shubie River from late April to the the first week in June . Milford is a great place on the river to start . Or in Enfield at the Indian bridge . Use xraps 8-10 oz's and 40lb power pro on a old trout rod and hang the heck on . After May 10th it is Catch and release only with single hook lure or flie . After they spawn you may want to go to the Bay of Fundy and shore fish with surf rods using any stinky fish you can find . Good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Shubie River from late April to the the first week in June . Milford is a great place on the river to start . Or in Enfield at the Indian bridge . Use xraps 8-10 oz's and 40lb power pro on a old trout rod and hang the heck on . After May 10th it is Catch and release only with single hook lure or flie . After they spawn you may want to go to the Bay of Fundy and shore fish with surf rods using any stinky fish you can find . Good luck
So you use the red power pro? and would a berkley cherrywood trout rod be big enough?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Any rod will work but you should use the right rod for the right fish. Trout rods do not have the back bone for big bass. The rod will break and you will lose your fish or you will have to fight them longer witch will tired out the fish and put stress on them.

·
Registered
299 Posts
There was a 40 pounder cought in the shubie last year if your trout rod can handle enough line go for it.....But it only takes onece to learn a lesson

·
Registered
182 Posts
There was a 40 pounder cought in the shubie last year if your trout rod can handle enough line go for it.....But it only takes onece to learn a lesson
A trout rod is lighter for the fact of casting and retriving a artifical lure all day.You don't need a big ole rod to reel them in . You will get two good runs from them then they are done . You will catch more stripers on artificals than bait . 40 pound power pro will allow you to horse them in so they are not stressed and are not swallowing the hook into their bellys for more damage to the fish . A medium action rod will land you all the bass you catch in the river . And you will not have to go home with a sore arm from casting all day . People use fly rods for stripers and they seem to pan out just fine with them .

·
Registered
41 Posts
hmmm. 2 actual striper rods and 3 reels broken fishing stripers last year. the year before was 3 rods and 2 reels, the year before was bad, 4 rods and 2 reels....

i'm from across the bay in saint john, where we run into bigger stripers and much fewer schoolies and smaller stripers. you can land a striper on a hand line, but i wouldn't do it (unless i had just broken my rod or reel....!lol!). if you don't think the trout rod can land a big smallie or a bunch mackeral, it's probabley to small. that all said, i have landed a few stripers on a trout rod, and then broke off and lost the lure on the 6th striper. most of the stripers i catch are "keepers" or very large schoolies, you get mostly schoolies in ns so can probabley get away with lighter gear more often. if you are looking for a trouphy striper, you will have to step up gear wise. a low cost alternative is an ugly stick, which is easier on the arms than a surf rod (and i'm talking about a 6-7" ugly stick here). an abu garcia would work also, as they are both parabolic rods (bends the whole lenght of the rod basicly evenly) but would be pricier.

like marsh said, losing a trouphy striper from using undersized striper gear would be a reel drag.

·
Registered
182 Posts
The only time I see people breaking rods is using them to tow a fish up a bank or across the beach out of the water.

The shubie up in Milford is only 30 feet across so you don't need a big rod . I watched kids land 10-12lbers evry year on 6lb test fishing for shad , and if you have 40lb power pro you are gonna kick some but . A $30 combo rod will only get you a good season out of the reel . So if you have a higher end reel you will be fine . My rod and reel are only worth $100 and I been running the same gear now for 5 years . They have landed hundreds of stripers over 12-15lbs . The only thing you have to be sure of is to have ceramic eyes on your rod as the power pro will saw right through it . Like I said in my first post if you are in the bay with bigger water a surf rod will be needed for the ones you get over 20lbs and the salt will eat your gear out there . Good luck and hook up .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts