Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm from the MIdwest and have been fishing in Nova Scotia since September. I'm new to saltwater fishing and am just looking for simple tips (not locations unless you're feeling generous!). I figure I'll just head up a couple hours before high tide and do some scout work but I'm unsure about the basic rigs. Is it best to use live bait? Or can you use spoons or anything artificial? Since its a little bit of a drive I figured I'd ask on here to get some gear before I head up. I'll post all of my locations, results, and pictures of course! Thanks in advance! Any info is much appreciated!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm from the MIdwest and have been fishing in Nova Scotia since September. I'm new to saltwater fishing and am just looking for simple tips (not locations unless you're feeling generous!). I figure I'll just head up a couple hours before high tide and do some scout work but I'm unsure about the basic rigs. Is it best to use live bait? Or can you use spoons or anything artificial? Since its a little bit of a drive I figured I'd ask on here to get some gear before I head up. I'll post all of my locations, results, and pictures of course! Thanks in advance! Any info is much appreciated!!!
If your are bait fishing saltwater, which I would recommend this time of year, the basics you would need are a Medium to Medium Heavy surf rod about $70 a combo at canadian tire, it usualy comes with 20lb test, I usualy respool it with 30-50lb braided line, and pick up some heavyier duty swivels, than pick up a 3-4 ounce weighted rigs and hooks in packages, labelled striped bass rigs which are also in your local Canadian Tire or Wal Mart. They are expensive but hard to come across unless you manage to find a Store with better set ups like Hnatiuks or Fishing Fever, I usually use Herring, Mackerel, Shad, Gaspereau or sandworms for bait, depending on what area you go to, its good to ask the locals what has been working best, In my experience you can't go wrong with Mackerel. Locations vary by the time of year but usualy from July on to November anyweres in the bay of fundy is good from Annapolis all the way to Five Islands and on. Just be wary of the tides. That should get you started if you need anymore help just ask and i'll do my best to fix ya up!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts