Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can we get the size limit changed for Bass. I am a regular and catch anywhere between 12 and 20 bass each trip but none the legal limit. I would like to see the size limit changed to 20 inches and don't think this would hurt anything. What's the opinion of everyone else.

·
1,353 Posts
It's interesting the experiance different anglers have on the same resource. My concerns this year was where are the small ones! I caught a lot more keeper size than undersized stripers. Granted my numbers were down overall but I caught a large percentage of the keeper size over 30 ins. What we have in the striper fishery is micro looks at the population based on our own experiance and observation. Without any way of collecting data on catch, size, time spent, and retention any management is a guess based on how many angels fit on the head of a pin!

·
Banned
767 Posts
Hi;

FWIW, I have always felt that a/, 'keeper' stripers should be within a 'slot' limit, and b/ that there should be no bass kept of any size between April and July in order to protect the spawning run, and c/ bait fishing for stripers, when and where permitted, should require barbless true circle hooks.

However, since DNR has, apparently, no money with which to do a a thorough study of the striped bass in our waters, it's difficult to put forward scientific arguments for or against any fishing practice applied to this bass population.

But I do think that it is always better to err on the side of caution.

cheers,

chuck

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's interesting the experiance different anglers have on the same resource. My concerns this year was where are the small ones! I caught a lot more keeper size than undersized stripers. Granted my numbers were down overall but I caught a large percentage of the keeper size over 30 ins. What we have in the striper fishery is micro looks at the population based on our own experiance and observation. Without any way of collecting data on catch, size, time spent, and retention any management is a guess based on how many angels fit on the head of a pin!
Perry; Which side of the Bay are you fishing? It must be the Valley side or the Shubie river? I fish at one of the hottest spots around Bass River and have not seen a keeper caught in 3 years.

·
1,353 Posts
I fish the Valley side. There should be no difference thou, I cant imageing why your side would have small ones and my side have the big ones. Interesting!

·
Registered
806 Posts
i was at a RFAC meeting last year , the same question was brought up . why are we protecting the large smallmouth and killing the large strippers??? the answer brought to the meeting was that the fish that are over the limit , has already spawned at least once and has done it's part in producing more young for the future fishery . whether you ''believe'' this to be true or not , it is the law that the panel came up with , and we have to abide .agree or not !

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hi;

FWIW, I have always felt that a/, 'keeper' stripers should be within a 'slot' limit, and b/ that there should be no bass kept of any size between April and July in order to protect the spawning run, and c/ bait fishing for stripers, when and where permitted, should require barbless true circle hooks.

However, since DNR has, apparently, no money with which to do a a thorough study of the striped bass in our waters, it's difficult to put forward scientific arguments for or against any fishing practice applied to this bass population.

But I do think that it is always better to err on the side of caution.

cheers,

chuck
Great idea's . Took the words right out of my mouth

·
Registered
76 Posts
I fish the Valley side. There should be no difference thou, I cant imageing why your side would have small ones and my side have the big ones. Interesting!
well, i can tell you im going to your side this spring! lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts