Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I had a strange moment today....

I know it's not that uncommon to hook a fish with another lure in it's mouth but how about retrieving your own hook from a swimming fish only seconds after losing it!

I was fishing for pickerel this morning using a braided line with a berkely Gulp worm. I made a cast into the lily pads when a good sized fish attacked it and in a flash bit my hook and worm completely off.
No problem, I grabbed an already rigged rod and made a cast back into the same spot and immediately another explosive strike, I had the fish on and was wrestling him through the cabbage when the hook came free, I pulled it out of his mouth.
When I reeled it in I had noticed something on the line and I had hooked my previously lost hook and worm.....so I didn't catch the fish but caught my lost gear out of a fish's mouth on the very next cast after losing it....friggin amazing. First time I have ever seen it or heard of it!

Here is the picture of my catch just as I reeled it in....

I actually rigged this back on the previous broken line and caught some more fish for dinner. Oh and by the way if anyone is in need of a good way to fillet a pickerel try this link, it is very easy to do and very clean.....not one bone!

Anyone else have any strange catches like this one??

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Apologies...I meant to put this in the gone fishing forum not the question forum. -1 for me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ahaha that is something else DN. Go out and buy a lottery ticket! The strangest thing I have ever caught was while jigging when I hauled up an old metal lobster trap. Hooked it in the nylon.

·
Registered
245 Posts
That's awesome! Wish i could do that every once in a while, save me a lot of money.

Here's a pickerel my fiancee got this spring, about 14". It had the other one in its gut, half decomposed. When she reeled it in she hollers to me that she caught two fish on one hook, then she realizes the little ones dead. It had spit the little one out when it grabbed her Rapala and it got caught on one of the trebles!

For me my best interesting catch was out fishing Pickerel in Shortts Lake. I had got one on about 13" long and had it by the boat, I was reaching down to get my net(not sure why I needed a net for it, it was a while ago). Suddenly i feel a good tug and think to myself "oh, it's just fighting again, better look up" I turn and look down and all i see is this massive mouth clamped AROUND my fish with vicious eyes staring at me. Another pickerel, I'm guessing around the 20" size (i've got a few that big and bigger there) decided my struggling little guy was an easy snack. It let go and bolted as soon as I had moved and saw it. Brought my little one in, it was all mangled and looked shocked. It took a lot of coaxing before it swam away when releasing it. Savage fish them things!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Something like this happened to me about two weeks ago but slightly different,

I was fishing with a white grub when I got a good hit when I got my line in close enough to see my white worm I noticed the fish was about four feet behind my hook when I finally got the fish in I came to find the fish was hook on a single hook rig with a four foot leader that I hook in the eye of the swivel pretty sweet catch I thought!!! Wish I had a pic of it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I've never had a catch like that. But I have caught the same fish on two consecutive casts. It was a smallie that took a Blue Fox Vibrax spinner. I notice that the fish had a scar on one gill plate that looked like it had tangled with a small boat prop. I released the fish, took a moment to grab a sip of water from my bottle then made another cast. Bang! fish on! And when I reeled it in. . . same fish, same scar.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Great story, and thanks for the video, I've always released my pickerel. I'll definitely have to try it out next time.

I was fishing a couple weeks ago with a buddy and he snapped his line off on bottom, then 2 casts later he hooked into the line and got his hook back !

·
Registered
423 Posts
Some years back I was fishing salmon on the Torrent River in NFLD and one morning hooked a grilse that promptly broke me off taking my fly. The next morning while fishing the same pool I hooked another grilse that I landed and to my surprize my fly from the day before was firmly hooked in it's lower jaw.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have hooked a beaver and a bat before. I broke a trout off on hatchery pool on the Margaree one evening and I was guiding a gentleman there the next day for trout and we hooked the same trout and got my fly back! I was fishing for muskies once in Ontario and we almost caught a loon. It was coming after my friends rapala big time. Wouldn't want to try and release that!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I caught a gaspereaux yesterday casting x-raps for bass, after spawning I have caught gaspereaux on the fly but never on a hard bait. This guy bit the x-rap just like any other fish, he wasn't foul hooked.

·
Registered
587 Posts
This male creek chub is about the strangest catch this year.

Hi Bugman
Creek chubs are pretty common in some water system on the south shore at least. They take flies willingly. If chubs are plentiful you can be pretty sure a nice Brookie will not be far away. It probably wouldn't be in the market for a # 16 Klinkie. Go big when you see the chubs. I haven't seen many where there is SMB - don't know about Pickerel but it would be a good study for some summer student.
Have a nice day
Paul

·
Banned
767 Posts
Hi;

Worst thing I ever hooked and landed--a cormorant [shag] that tried to take my mackeral down at Chinatown. And then tried to kill me!! I also hooked a seal there once [in the fur, I think], but it broke off. I've had gulls tangle up in my line casting mackeral jigs [watch out for terns--feisty little buggers!]. I've caught ducks that struck my dry fly before I could pull it away from them.

I've caught other people's baits many times, when fishing opposite sides of a river or trolling. The most exciting in a salmon tournament in Port Alberni, B.C. The lady in the other boat simply would not believe that it was me on the other end of the line, and not the tournament winner, and I did not want to break off a really expensive plug. So I let go my drag and let her land my plug, which she had the goodness to release.

I've seen other people hook a beaver, a muskrat, a snapping turtle, and a frog--but I didn't do it myself. Also a guy told me that he once hooked and landed a bat, but I didn't know the guy, so I won't vouch for it.

Once in Burrard inlet my fishing buddy had a fish on that was fighting well, when suddenly it turned on the afterburners and went nuts. He fought it for several minutes before it just as suddenly gave up. He reeled it in, but all he had then was the severed head of a very big ling cod. The rest was history.

cheers,

chuck

·
Registered
587 Posts
Surprisingly they are not very common in my little section of the South Shore and I am not sure why. SMB and pickerel have not infested these waters yet, so it has to be either geographic or water quality. There are a few species that seem to be missing. I never see white perch, lamprey, or snapping turtles either. It was not until I was older and had opportunities to fish further afield that I became aware of their presence in Nova Scotia.
Hi Bugman
When I think of it the best area for creek chub is the center of the province. Lake Paul and Sherbrooke River, the Mersey River at Keji. I haven't seen many close to the salt. The Lahave usually has lampreys at Pinehurst.
Have a good day
Paul

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
lol been there kingfisher don't know how it happens it just does

I've caught an old boot, rope and a tee shirt

1 - 20 of 43 Posts