Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
I was out cutting wood along a brook today and there was a few stone flies in the air. First I've seen this year. I don't know what kind they were - small about a 16 or 18. Always nice to see them.
In the 26 years I lived here the brook has grown a nice canopy of trees - mostly red maple and has came back to life. Brook trout will be there every year about Nov 1 and they spawn in the runs.
Paul

·
Registered
195 Posts
Were they black, it's a little early for the little black stones. Never seen a stone hatch this time of year.

·
Registered
523 Posts
HI all-
While it may seem a bit odd, Plecoptera Taeniopterygidae (little black stone flies - LBSF) do keep going as long as the water is above freezing. It is a bit odd in January to see many of them, but if the water was running in the brook, it's totally possible that the LBSF were hatching, it has been a warmish winter so far...
Bill

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Flyfish
There is another black snow flea - haven't seen any yet but they are not the same. LBSF cones out of the water but I'm not sure of the life cycle of the stone fleas. any idea?
Something that might help trout is to put leaves into a stream. So many get thrown to land fill. Natural leaves sure helped this little brook.
Thanks for the name - I cann't pronounce it but I can cut and paste! ( LOL )
Enjoy the storm
Paul

·
Registered
523 Posts
Hi Paul-
Yes, that would be the famous "snow flea" which I believe is not really a flea, nor a fly for that matter at all. They are order Collembolaand and the full name is Hypogastrura Nivicola, but snow flea is much better! They are actually a species of springtail - and so the jumping that gives them the flea like action.
Is that what they may have been? They are active all winter, mainly on snow as they scavenge for algae according to one booklet I read.
Hope that helps,
Bill

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi All
This morning in Keji while packing up to come home I found a large stone fly in a coat that I had laid on a table. It was nearly 2 in ( 5 - 6 ) cm long, dark grey in color - no bright spots that i could see. It seemed to be hiding from the light so perhaps it flies at night. No idea of the name.
We were camped 50 m from the lake so it probably came out of the lake.
It wasn't the biggest stone fly I ever seen but it would be a nice meal for a trout. Is there any spots in Nova Scotia where these fellows are abundant?
Perhaps a fly tied like this would work.
Paul

1 - 7 of 7 Posts