Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on heading out to try my hand at stripers monday and was curious if Stewiacke was a good place to try? I don't know much about striper fishing so this is a first shot for me... any advice would be helpful

·
Registered
107 Posts
Evilsquish,

The Stewiacke is an excellent place to fish in May, but this time of year the striped bass have moved back out to salt water (and some to Grand Lake). Your best bet would be to target them from beaches in the Bay of Fundy. All areas around Noel, Maitland, Portapique, Bass River etc will have bass. Also, of you are closer to the valley, there is excellent fishing near Kingsport, the mouth of the Gaspereau River and some other spots. Hope this helps.

Eddie

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Evilsquish,

The Stewiacke is an excellent place to fish in May, but this time of year the striped bass have moved back out to salt water (and some to Grand Lake). Your best bet would be to target them from beaches in the Bay of Fundy. All areas around Noel, Maitland, Portapique, Bass River etc will have bass. Also, of you are closer to the valley, there is excellent fishing near Kingsport, the mouth of the Gaspereau River and some other spots. Hope this helps.

Eddie
You probably saved me a hell of a headache and a bad day.... it helps immensely thank you

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mackerel seems scarce in the bait shops right now. A lot of the experienced guys I talk to really prefer herring which seems to be more readily available. Myself, I prefer mackerel if I can get it.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mackerel seems scarce in the bait shops right now. A lot of the experienced guys I talk to really prefer herring which seems to be more readily available. Myself, I prefer mackerel if I can get it.
Yeah it's hard fishing in Eastern Passage right now, I spent hours out that way on and off all week and most of the time I've seen one mack here and there.... last year they ran that channel between the beach and Lawlor's Island religiously now it's a crap shoot.... if all else fails I will get some herring at the store but I have a couple of tinkers my dad was given in terms of mackerel he offered to give me... it's a start.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts