Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on the off chance that someone on here know's the area...

I'll be visiting Stephenville in a couple weeks and would like to do a little fly fishing while I'm there. So, I'd appreciate any suggestions as to where I may be able to get into some trout...say within an hours drive.

For the time I'll have to fish, I doubt that it would be worth the $53 for a salmon license but if someone thinks I'd really be missing, out then let me know.

Most importantly, does anyone know specifically where I could buy a trout license? I was visiting a couple years ago, had some difficulty finding a vendor and wasn't able to wet my line because of it. I'll be making some calls to the the province to see if I can track one down around the Stephenville area, but thought someone here may be able to save me the frustration I ran into before.

Thanks,

Matt J.

·
Registered
806 Posts
If they get rain I would HIGHLY recommend getting a salmon licence. Give Tom Brake a call (guide) on the Codroy River. There are a pile of fish waiting to come in (sea runs and salmon). If interested I will get the #

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The wife has informed me that we will be spending some time at a cabin on Flat Bay Brook. After a bit of investigation, Flay Bay is a "schedule salmon river" which from what I can tell of the regulations means I need to have a salmon license to fish on, regarless of target species (which only makes sense). I've made calls to a couple places around town who have some non-resident salmon licenses, but no one seems to have trout licenses, which I'd still like to find.

It seems I won't be stuck not being able to fish at all, but now the problem is that the only salmon fishing experience I have has come while sitting on the couch watching tv.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Many rivers are closed right now and there are also restrictions on how far from a road you can fish without a registered guide. You can check here for closures and restrictions:
Erin Dunne
A/Resource Manager - Recreational Fisheries
Tel.(709) 772-2045
E-mail: [email protected]

ANGLING LINE
(709) 772-4423
Recorded message for in-season river openings, closures and other recreational fishing information

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks rpen...but I've been doing my research. This is from the Anglers Guide:

1. Island of Newfoundland; South of 52ºN Labrador
• A non-resident shall not angle scheduled salmon waters unless
accompanied by a licenced guide or by a direct relative who is a
resident.
• A non-resident may angle unaccompanied on non-scheduled
waters within 800 metres of a provincial highway; beyond that
point an angler must be accompanied by a licenced guide or direct
relative who is a resident.

My father in-law is not only a resident, but aparently also has a guide license.

As I mentioned, we have access to a cabin on Flat Bay Brook, which was closed July 11th, but re-opened on the 19th

So after somewhere around 2 dozen phone calls, it looks like I'll have to go to Corner Brook to get a trout license.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
EmmaJay

I have been over to NFLD three times Trout Fishing. Last year being the last time I was over. We bought Non Res Licenses right in Stephenville at a small convenience store on the main drag. Name eludes me, but you would not have guessed , we went in for other things and asked if they had them. Also we fished for day around Stephenville, not sure of the names of the waters, however fishing was excellent for Trout. You do not have to go far. Just as a side not, I did a lot of Fishing up in the Deer Lake area, on the road to Gros Morne, in the Cormack area and just above here on the same road to Gros Morne is a series of miles of woods roads and many many ponds, lakes and waterways, we stayed here for a number of days in on one of the ponds. Also up in the Grand Lake area (Howley). Some fabulous fishing there as well, should you get a chance , the drive is not that far from Stehpenville. Not sure if I will ever make it over again, but fishing (and Hunting) is second to none, I envy you. Trout seem to be in every hole and creek, everywhere.

Best of luck and enjoy.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got my licenses and a couple short trips out...but no fish yet. We stopped at the bottom of a falls yesterday and there were close to 20 salmon in a pool about 10x10ft...two of which must have been 15 or 20 lbs. It was a no fishing section of the river (for good reason). Anyway...that certainly peaked my interest and I may be slowly becoming obsessed. We may give "troutin" a try as the water is still very low in the salmon rivers, but we know there are a few fish around.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts