Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
This time of year I tie various bugs and bombers. There never seem to be enough to last the summer. Take out a client and they have a good day with them and they will want a bunch.
My problem is clipped hair sticking to my hands, scissors, vice and anything else that it comes near. Anyone have any solutions?
Thanks
Paul

·
1,353 Posts
I know what you mean Paul but I haven't had the problem for years so I thought about why I used to and why I do not now. I believe it is the environment I tie in now. I tie next to a woodstove with a kettle boiling. Is it possible the high humidity where I tie is keeping the static electricity at bay. It's all I got! lol

·
Registered
806 Posts
i've always seen it as a necessary evil. especially since deer hair is my FAVORITE material to work with.just off the top of my head , i'd say try a bounce sheet. wipe your hands with it . i have no idea if it will work , but i think it will off the top of my head!
i've used bounce sheets when painting fiberglass boats with good sucess against dust etc. i think that it will work here. after all what will it hurt to try?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Paul

Try rubbing a dryer sheet on your hands when you tie deerhair. It seems to work in the dryer.

I arrange to have a garbage bag or waste catcher directly under the vise. I have an old oak office desk and I mount my vise on one of the flat pullout shelves above the row of drawers on each side of the desk. I have a waste catcher frame mounted on the vise shaft and instead of the cotton bag it came with I use a small kitchen garbage bag in it. I rotate the vise shaft so the jaws and waste catcher hang out in open space. When I trim the hair at the vise ( Muddlers, Humpies, etc), the waste falls straight down and the static cling keeps the hair attached to the side of the plastic bag. Occasionally I drop a hook or a fly in there, so I keep a telescopic magnetic pick up tool near the vise. I extend it and fish around until the hook is grabbed by the magnet.

Also when I tie Bombers or Deer Hair Bugs I have a 30 Gallon Steel pail with a Medium size Blue garbage bag in it. I keep this next to the vise on the floor by the desk. When I cut the hair off the skin , I trim the hair butts off over this garbage can. Then I apply the hair to the fly and spin it. The waste falls down into the can. This can is about the height of the desktop, so its a nice arrangement when sitting down. I also trim the Bug bodies over the large garbage can.

I manage to keep most of the deer hair off my tying area using these tow methods.

morfrost ( Don)

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi All
Great ideas. My wife goes for the kettle idea - says it will help her plants.
I went around to the drug store yesterday and asked the lady what she thought might held. After she finished laughing she showed me Static Guard - works good so far.
Thanks for the ideas.
Paul

·
Banned
613 Posts
Hi All
This time of year I tie various bugs and bombers. There never seem to be enough to last the summer. Take out a client and they have a good day with them and they will want a bunch.
My problem is clipped hair sticking to my hands, scissors, vice and anything else that it comes near. Anyone have any solutions?
Thanks
Paul
Your static cling is directly related to the low humidity level in your home. Try using a humidifier to raise the humidity level in your home, and all should be OK.

Or, you can try using/wearing a grounding strap like used for repairing computer equipment to dissipate the electrical charge in your body.

You can also buy an ati-static mat and use it as your working surface.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts