Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hello all,
Just wondering if someone can give me the proper name for these minnows. I have heard them called several different names(mud minnows, bullheads, guppies, etc.) and I don't think any of those are right. I'm just curious...my brother and I discussed this today when we pulled our traps.

Thanks in advance.

·
To do nothing is unacceptable.
2,726 Posts
Lee,
Get many mummichog?

Terran

·
Banned
767 Posts
Hi Lee;

Depends on where you caught it--salt, brackish, or fresh. It is definitely a member of the killifish family, and if caught in strictly fresh water is a banded killifish.

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.unb.ca/cri/projects/Fish_key/Cyprinodontidae/images/BKF_web_3.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.unb.ca/cri/projects/Fish_key/Cyprinodontidae/Banded_Killifish.htm&h=171&w=700&sz=24&tbnid=9hVNOsDEsu_IBM:&tbnh=34&tbnw=140&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbanded%2Bkillifish&zoom=1&q=banded+killifish&usg=__uI49wb1YTro2-VCKL5YdVflakuE=&sa=X&ei=Vu2UTcW9PITl0gHK2dXwCw&ved=0CDQQ9QEwAw

But if caught in salt or brackish water, it is a different killifish, usually called a mummichog. The mummichog is often sold for bait because it can live for days just being kept cool and damp, but dies if it has to spend an extended time in fresh water. How long, I don't know, but more than an hour for sure.

cheers,

chuck

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you very much,

I guess they're mummichog, caught in brackish water. My brother and I both filled our traps today(maybe 40-50 each), some really big ones too. One was about 5-6" long and really fat. Again thank you all for the replies.

·
Banned
767 Posts
Thank you very much,

I guess they're mummichog, caught in brackish water. My brother and I both filled our traps today(maybe 40-50 each), some really big ones too. One was about 5-6" long and really fat. Again thank you all for the replies.
Hi Lee;

If you and your brother live fairly close to metro, you might want to call Fishin' Fever. They used to sell mummichogs, and maybe they'll buy some from you. Of course the pending rules on transporting live fish, even salt water fish, may pose a problem--or not. Who knows?!? DFO? I doubt it.

cheers,

chuck

·
To do nothing is unacceptable.
2,726 Posts
Hi Chuck,

Have it on good authority (DFO) the only live fish allowed in your possesion (after/if the new legislation passes) will be live baitfish - minnows.

That is if that doesn't change. Hope that's useful.

Tight lines,
Terran

·
Banned
767 Posts
Hi Chuck,

Have it on good authority (DFO) the only live fish allowed in your possesion (after/if the new legislation passes) will be live baitfish - minnows.

That is if that doesn't change. Hope that's useful.

Tight lines,
Terran
Thanks, Terran. If that doesn't change then Lee might find a profitable market for his mummichogs, if he's interested.

cheers,

chuck

·
Registered
207 Posts
I guess if I started charging my friends and family I could turn a healthy profit.....hmmm...you might be on to something there Chuck....less time working more time fishing. Sounds like a business plan. Really though, I know of about a half dozen places full of mummichogs year round. Little too far from metro though, nearly a three hour drive.

·
Banned
767 Posts
I guess if I started charging my friends and family I could turn a healthy profit.....hmmm...you might be on to something there Chuck....less time working more time fishing. Sounds like a business plan. Really though, I know of about a half dozen places full of mummichogs year round. Little too far from metro though, nearly a three hour drive.
hi Lee;

Drat! I was hoping to buy a few. Oh, well.

cheers,

chuck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts