Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While mackerel fishing in the Sydney area the other day a gentleman mentioned that there were a couple of Spanish Mackerel caught. I think Nova Scotia is pretty far north of their natural range. Anyone else seeing or hearing of them being caught?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just a little information from an old source on teh range of the "Spanish Mackerel"

The Spanish mackerel is a summer visitor all along the Atlantic coast of the United States, as far north as New York; less regularly along the southern coasts of New England, though a few are taken during most summers at Woods Hole. But it is only a stray in the colder waters of the Gulf of Maine, where occasional fish are taken in Cape Cod Bay every year or two. In 1896 the local catch rose to 37 fish (Provincetown and Truro traps), and there is record of it at Lynn, Mass. But Spanish mackerel are so rare north of this point that Monhegan Island is the only locality-record for Maine, and the most northerly known outpost for the species.

Considering the Hurricane guess it is a possibility they could be pushed further North.

Would be nice to see some pictures to confirm this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was South Bar. That was the first time I spoke to that particular gentleman and although I don't know him he seemed to know what he was talking about. I will ask for more info or pictures etc. next time I'm there but I expect there won't be any. Personally, I like to have a camera handy for those special occasions but not everyone does.

·
Registered
546 Posts
The bird was a pelican. It was caught today in the Halifax area I think and sent to a bird sanctuary to be cared for then released.

James

1 - 8 of 8 Posts