Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I start a discussion on the prospects of striper fishing down this part of the province? Historically there have been seasons where they were in the estuaries, bays and harbours in such places as Port LeHebert, Sable River,Jordan Bay, Cape Sable Island. The people who I ask say it has been in years where the summers were hot and tere was lots of bait around. Well this definetly is a summer like this. The mackeral have been earlier this year than the past ten or so and the water temp is reallt high...

So why no stripers is it that no one is fishing or on the water to actually see them ? I doubt it since rockweeders and Irish mossers have scoured the shoreline over the pst month or so they must be seeing something. I talked to a guy lst week who said something big was following his boat along the shore, it made a wake but he couldn't see any fins, was this a big striper? Maybe

Maybe people are trying to keep the sightings secret, well if so this only hurts a fishery that could be utilized and bring people out to enjoy the species. If we get alot of publicity about stripers on the southshore we will generate discusion and possible info as to where they are and when.

There shouldn't be the worry about giving away a secret fishing spot as it applies to pelagic stripers,along a hugh coastline.

I remeber when blue fish were in Port Joli and Port LeHebert, alot of boats were there and everyone had a blast trying to land these toothy critters.

Maybe a good idea would be to offer a reward for information leading to the capture of a southshore striper dead or alive.

I guess I made my point.

·
Banned
585 Posts
This is what you hear a lot of down this way....in the past, or years ago. THere are a couple others that wonder the same things. So far no stripers, it doesn't mean they are not there, it means we haven't found them yet.
Trav

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is what you hear a lot of down this way....in the past, or years ago. THere are a couple others that wonder the same things. So far no stripers, it doesn't mean they are not there, it means we haven't found them yet.
Trav
Travis: I agree we just need to look harder and pass on when they are sighted.

In Maine they are having a great year for stripers and blues and there coastline is very similiar to the southshore.???

·
Banned
585 Posts
Arguably, that coastline is close in a global sense, you would think that they would be here. I would think that they would have to go around this side of the province to get north, would they not?
Trav

·
Banned
585 Posts
....why not talk to some commercial ground fisherman in your area.... someone must be putting out baited longline trawl, to either catch bait or else ground fish, etc. I have a group of friends going to start their own lobster/ground fish opperation. I will ask them to tell me what is going on when they start up here soon.

Trav

·
Registered
423 Posts
There used to be a decent fishery in the LaHave River in Bridgewater. I used to live in an apartment beside the river and in late May and June when the Kayaks were in the river we would see large wakes swimming around between the town bridges after dark. I tried to catch them with no luck. I have asked some of our local fisherman if they are still there and no-one seems to fish for them anymore. At one time fish in the 50lb class were successfully angled. Who knows, they may still enter the river but no-one is fishing. Interesting post and I hope someone can enlighten us as to what happened to them.

·
1,353 Posts
I caught a striper in the Pier Pool on the Lahave while salmon fishing quite a few years ago! It was the first salmon pool on the LaHave below Cooks Falls. The Tusket River was a hotspot for stripers. Bill, aka flyfish might be a good source as he guided for them years ago.

·
Banned
585 Posts
There, I would say those are some quality leads!

I have heard the times that they were caught in the brackish part of the LaHave was at night or just before night.

I have some more questions as to how we might go looking for them (perhaps to help refine the strategy) in context of coming from salt water towards the fresh water:

Do they 'hunt' for prey or are the scavengers?

What are a stripers habits during the day in salt water?

Are they up in the water collum or low?

Are they tipically more offshore or inshore?

Do they feed all day?

Trav

·
Registered
423 Posts
Travis,

I was told that the bait used by one the best anglers on the LaHAve (for Stripers) was a small live eel with a balloon float. They also used white red plugs made from broom handles (must'nt have had access to raps). I would think trolling big raps just before and after dark on a dead high tide would work, especially in town where it is all lit up by street lights. Might be worth a try while the mackeral are still in the river as they travel up almost to the fresh water. Been thinking about doing it for a long time but just never get around to it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I spoke to some guys who would catch strippers years back in East Jordan at the old breakwater, they were saying at the high tide the stripers would come up along the tide line and they would eat the guts and entrails from cleaned fish that were thrown on the shore. Heck we even had a striped bass tourney about 15 years ago I think. It was set up after a really good year when they filled the harbour. I think the tourney was a flop as that summer they didn't show up? Maybe someone can clarify this story.

I hang around with a few guides who gillnet and long line trawl and they never told nme that they get any bass, but it is a good point they might be catching them.

I really can't answer alot of the questions Travis since I can't compare their habits to those in the Bay of Fundy or Minas Basin?

I did have a striped bass fillet chunk in Cape Cod last summetr it was really tasty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
well im from cape sable island and have cought lots of stripers over the years in lots of locations around here.i havent tryed yet this year.here are some of the spots i have cought them in... the brook just before stanly greenwoods boat shop on cape sable island,clam point wharf,port clyde bridge,port latour,,also just below the falls by the golf course in clyde river.the nite tide is the only time i have ever got them also only on the incoming tide.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well im from cape sable island and have cought lots of stripers over the years in lots of locations around here.i havent tryed yet this year.here are some of the spots i have cought them in... the brook just before stanly greenwoods boat shop on cape sable island,clam point wharf,port clyde bridge,port latour,,also just below the falls by the golf course in clyde river.the nite tide is the only time i have ever got them also only on the incoming tide.
Thanks for the reply BASS-CHIN, I live in Shelburne I actually caught a couple of salmon just above the Port Clyde bridge a long time ago. I will have to try there again, it is easy to fish that run that goes out under the bridge,

For stripers down here are you using bottom bait or floating pluggs?

If you hear any sightings this year please post, Iam really interested in trying to have as many people catch stripers down this way...to try and get the ball rolling on our recreatinal saltwater fishery on teh Southshore.

thanks

·
Registered
203 Posts
They normally go in the Chebogue river and the Tusket ever year.
Just have to put your time in to find out when.Alot of the older fellas that would troll everday and give us a heads up are to old or deceased now.A few years ago there was so many in those systems we were using flyrods,they were mostly the little schoolers,4-7lbs.Bigger rapalas work well trolled as well as top water spooks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the reply BASS-CHIN, I live in Shelburne I actually caught a couple of salmon just above the Port Clyde bridge a long time ago. I will have to try there again, it is easy to fish that run that goes out under the bridge,

For stripers down here are you using bottom bait or floating pluggs?

If you hear any sightings this year please post, Iam really interested in trying to have as many people catch stripers down this way...to try and get the ball rolling on our recreatinal saltwater fishery on teh Southshore.

thanks
Also interested in Stripers, they having a strong showing in Maine this year. I'm hoping thry show up here. I've been going to try the Port Clyde / Port Saxon area for them in a boat. I know that a few years ago they could be caught by fishing the narrows where the hwy bridge is. I'd like to try drifting with a bottom rig and top water plugs. I have a friend in Mass that goes every weekend for stripers with top water Gag Grabber plug & has a ball.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I got most of them on bait but did get a few on a red devil.I'm going to give it a try soon to the port Clyde bridge.
I just looked off the Clyde Bridge and the tide was coming in high, there were lots of shags hanging around inside none were feeding, I am going to try when th etide drops since I can only fish from the shore.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I fished tonight at the port Clyde bridge, the tide was going from high to low and was still pretty high. I saw some cormorants diving but it didn't look like they were having any luck. I was using a top water popper plug and worked the runs below the bridge really well,I fished until about 8:45 but didn't see anything.

I probably will try again on the other tide to see where the deep holes are and figure out the structure.

Anybody hearing of any stripers around the Southshore.

·
Registered
8 Posts
its hard to fish the port clyde bridge now.the old bridge was good to fish off.now the best way is to use a boat betwwen the two bridges.also use a striper rig with mackeral for bait on the frist half of the tide coming in.also the middle of the nite is the best tide.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts