Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So myself a few of my buddies were fishing Fish lake, in Grand lake a couple weeks back and ended up pulling out several Shad along the far end of the lake. Seems to be a landlocked lake.. Anyone able to explain where they are coming from? No shortage of them jumping out of the water or being caught.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Fish lake is connected to Grand lake there is a stream that runs under the road so they may have got in that way

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fish lake is connected to Grand lake there is a stream that runs under the road so they may have got in that way
I was curious of that, but didn't see any sign of anything. That would certainly explain it. I found it funny that it was posted that "Stripers are catch and release only in fish lake". But Hell if there is Shad, I suppose there could be Stripers.

·
Banned
585 Posts
I guess my reply is, there are stripers in Grand, so shad why not....lol. Cool, never knew there were shad in Grand either.
Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
186 Posts
i have caught a few shad in the mouth of the shubie in grand a few times never heard of them getting into fish but it is very well possible it gets LOADED with gaspearu from that little river connected to grand

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
The shad run up the Fish Lake creek the same as the pickeral and the gaspareau did. I have also seen folks dipping smelt in that creek in past years as well. Regards, Shimanoman

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have seen alot of shad running through grand lake into the mouth of the shubie but have never seen them in fish lake. I thought I would have caught ever species in fish lake considering how many times I have fished it. Good to hear though, must have been a shocker

·
Registered
8 Posts
Grand Lake gets the Shad and the Stripers from the river on the north east side of the lake, its comming from the shubie river im pretty sure. at least thats how it looks on the maps and i know you can fish striped bass in the river more towards fundy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use to work the land right there . there is a small stream goes under the road just pasdt the rr tracks that the smelt and the shad use to get into fish lake.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts