Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone pre-soaks their super flukes or other soft plastics before using them. Tell us what you find works best.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I find that it deterioates them quickly. So if you do wait until the night before. Instead of a liquid try ground coffee, garlic powder, and salt.

·
Registered
76 Posts
in dave mercers book he had something in there about making scent last longer in soft plastic tubes by putting a cotton ball behind the hook and spraying scent into the cotton ball. wont really work for anything else but it would work pretty good for tubes

·
Registered
158 Posts
I haven't used the super flukes only the smaller sized ones and haven't soaked them in anything, but found that rigging them either weedless on a worm hook and using them like a jerk bait with a real erratic action, worked well for me for bass. Or carolina rigging them did alright in deeper water. I'm sure the drop shot would work with them too. I have never tried them for pickerel as I like using floating raps, buzzbaits and other top waters along with buc ktails for them, but I'm sure they work good for them too.

If people have any other info on the soaking thing please post. I have never really heard of soaking other soft plastics. Except for the gulp alive stuff.

·
Registered
806 Posts
i have heard of people doing this before, however i have never done it. i post merely to state that i've read that most people who do this also poke many holes in the bait with a pin or needle. this way the scent can ''creep'' into the bait while also giving a slower release of the scent.i did have a guy in my boat before that used a tupperware container with garlic powder in it. he would put his bait in the container, shake it around, take it out , then fish with it. he did well with it. however he was not invited back in the boat however. after 1 day of fishing , it looked as if it had snowed on the carpet on the back of the boat!i didn't like cleaning up after him!most days i'm too lazy to clean up after myself , much less somebody else!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great posts guy's. I have used the "poke an dope" method using gulp alive fluid. I have also used a ball of berkerly power bait on the shank of the shaft of the hook as it seats into the groove in the super fluke. Keep em coming!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Place some baits in a bag, throw in a cap full of unscented baby oil and your desired scent. If you have different colored baits the color will also bleed over if left long enough.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts