Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know when the best time is to go smelt dipping. what size net to use, how long a handle to use and any general tips. Im new to this and would like to give it a try.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks... think i might need to find someone to show me the ropes.....

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hi Deon,

If you're looking for a net, try Canadian Tire or Wal-Mart. I've purchased a decent smelt net from Cdn Tire in the past. They're actually labelled "smelt net" so it's quite easy to find them.

J

PS: Gonna miss smelting and having a fry up of those little critters.

·
Registered
158 Posts
What is the best time to go at some people have been telling me A dusk and some people been saying really early in the morning
I'm no expert by any means but I went once or twice as kid with the grown ups here in nova scotia years ago. never really got anything on the one or 2 trips I went so I'm not really sure on where the best spots are in the province.

I went a few times with buddies also while I lived in Norther Ontario and we did alright in some of the streams that were fed by the great lakes. we always headed out around 9 or so and got to the spot around 10 and dipped til 12 or sometimes 2 in the morning. that seemed to be the best time for us.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts